Siobhan

Annotations and comments

7 posts in this topic

I just imported a transcript from MSWord that contained 'comments.' It seems to me these serve much the same function as NVIVO7's 'annotations.' Yet, the comments were lost on import. Why not have them automatically appear as annotations?

Hello Siobhan,

Thank you for your suggestion about importing comments from Word documents as annotations. I would like to hear whether other users feel that they would benefit from this enhancement.

Thanks and regards

Adam

1 person likes this

I think that importing comments as annotations would be an excellent addition to Nvivo as much collaborative writing these days involves the extensive use of comments in MS Word and even in Adobe Acrobat.

I agree. If NVivo could automatically import AND export from/to Word the information in 'comments' (for example, as suggested, in the form of annotations) that would be helpful.

Similarly, the information in headers (which in many cases could be transferred to/from the 'description' field of documents) and footers, especially if the user is given the option to import/export that type of information.

I agree, especially with regards to PDFs - comments, underlining, etc. Currently, underlining and other markup of a PDF done in Acrobat (or in an ipad reader like PDF Expert) is imported into the internal document. But it is not editable. It would be great if it were possible to have a full-fledged PDF reader/writer/annotator inside of NVIVO. Indeed, if it were possible to maintain the PDF as an actual PDF outside of NVIVO, but code it inside of NVIVO, that would be ideal. Any comments, underlines, etc., added in NVIVO could be added to the actual pdf document, so that when it was accessed by another program, the new commentary would be visible. This would allow the PDF to remain an active document, to be accessible from Zotero or other programs, etc.

I keep my PDFs in a folder in an online "cloud" storage server, with links to it from Zotero; this way, I'm able to access any PDF from my ipad, to read, take notes, annotate, etc. When I sync it back to the server, my PDFs reflect the new annotations, and remain in place to be opened by any number of other applications, including Zotero. It would be great if NVIVO adopted this approach to source documents, instead of sort of freezing them in time and locking them in place within the larger NVIVO database file.

I HEARTILY AGREE ABOUT THE VALUE OF IMPORTING MSWORD COMMENTS as annotations. This deletion of comments is one factor that has prevented me from importing several projects into NVivo -- because I don't want to have to re-enter each comment as an annotation.

1 person likes this