Lloyd

Compare coding between different sources

2 posts in this topic

Nvivo is rather new for me.

For a while I'm having trouble with comparing coding between different sources (example: interview A coming from source 1, interview B coming from source 2 in interviewer X). I wonder if it's even possible in Nvivo? The main goal is to compare the coding of the nodes for similarity. The nodes are the same for both sources.

I tried cluster analysis. This doesn't seem to do the trick (too many cases). Matrix coding doesn't do the trick either. Coding comparison seems ideal, but that's only used for different users.
The cases I will use, are being filtered out by using sets.

My interviewer X is called interviewer X in source 1 and in source 2, but not in general. So there is no common ground for an interviewer name or case name. I think, this might be the problem. Can I fix this?

Are there other solutions?

Hi there,

I am new to NVivo as well and struggling with a similar issue.

I have coded transcripts from, say 15, interviewees. Some codes are similar across the interviewees, some are unique to individuals. How can I make a comparison in such a way so that I can view the codes that are common for all the interviewees leaving the unique ones aside? and, separately, those that are for just most/several of them. Cluster analysis does not seem helpful. Project map looks too messy.

Were you able to figure out the answers to your questions? If yes, please share. Any guidance is appreciated

Thanks!