Pennx

Very basic Q: Nodes count, docs count

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

Could you let me know how i can quickly see how many nodes I have? Also how many documents I have. I know its very basic but I don't seem to be able to find/see this very quickly.

Many thanks

Hi Pennx,

There isn’t a quick way to check how many nodes are available in your project file, however, what you can do is export the Node List or Source List. http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/export_project_items.htm#MiniTOCBookMark3

Once exported, you can open this in Word and right-click the table and select Table properties. Go to the Row tab, and click Previous Row once to loop back to the end of the table. The count at the top of this window will be the number of items in the list; either nodes or sources depending on what you selected to export.

You will also need to subtract one off of the number you get to account for the header at the top of the exported file.

Cheers,

Tane

Thanks Tane,

yes I know i can do this, however i though its logical that there would be another way as in any kind of program you get this, so its strange that this simple calculation is not in Nvivo. Do you know if they plan to do something about this. The export takes ages and then you cannot even clearly see the nodes/subnodes, so have to spend 20mins everyday just to check how many nodes we have. I hope they will add an n/total value somewhere.

best wishes

Hi Pennx,

Thanks for your feedback. I have raised the matter with our Product Manager who collates all feature requests and prioritizes them accordingly. Our aim is to support your work by continually adding new functionality and features in future releases of NVivo for Mac and your feedback helps us to shape the future of the software by determining the priority for adding these features.

Regards,

Heather

Many thanks Heather,

I have spoken with many of my colleagues from various universities, and indeed they said this feature is vital for our work, so I'm glad its on the list!