#1 IOFarmer

IOFarmer

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Hello everyone!

My organization recently purchased Nvivo 11 for qualitatively analyzing our open ended survey responses. I am using the text search query function to create nodes based on pre-established themes for our data.

I input the data from an excel spreadsheet that has the following items: respondent id, gender, class year, open ended comment.

I have been able to create the nodes based on our themes and export the findings in excel as: id, comment. What I would like to do is export the node with the case classifications as well, similar to how it was imported. My goal is to have a spreadsheet with: id, gender, class year, comment. I'm trying to get this for each node created so that essentially I've whittled down the large number of comments to only those fitting in with the themes we have identified which I will then separate by the other factors (gender and class year).

I've used the export function in the data tab, but didn't find it provided anything useful regarding what I'm looking for. What I found more useful was right clicking on the node and using the "export node" option, but as I mentioned it does not indicate the case classifications in the output.

If anyone could either provide directions on how to export with both the node comments and the classifications or indicate where to find that information it would be very helpful!

Thanks!  

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hello,

There is no direct solution to this.

You have mentioned that you have managed to get the rowID and reference text from the node into a spreadsheet. Perhaps you could export the survey or classification sheet into another worksheet of the same excel file. Then use Excel's lookup functions to copy the classification data into the original spreadsheet. Or you could try building a matrix coding query (row = case id, column = attribute value, scope=node) ; saving the results to a matrix node, pasting the matrix node as a hierarchical node and then reporting on the hierarchy.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Sameer

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 IOFarmer

IOFarmer

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the response! I used the matrix coding query for creating a simple table to classify the responses and that seems to work well.

I've run into a separate issue with timeout of the queries. Some of the queries simply stop after 60 seconds before completing. I found a comment from last year but the solution does not appear to work. When I make the user.config changes indicated it seems to overwrite the edits. 

Comment Thread:
http://forums.qsrint...?showtopic=6046

#4 IOFarmer

IOFarmer

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Figured out the issue was that I was altering the user.config.bak file which I learned is a backup and not the actual config that Nvivo was pulling from. I mage the changes outlined in the thread above and it worked without any issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nodes, case classifications, case, export, excel, comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users