• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ksvari

ksvari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi. A student in working on a project that involves several brand names, none of which is a single word. If there a way to have the Word Frequency Query feature incorporate a compound name? Right now the query returns results for each word in the brand name, but not for the brand name in total.

Just as there is a "stop word" feature, is there a feature for combining words into one "instance"?

Thanks in advance.

#2 IOFarmer

IOFarmer

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

I think you can use quotation marks around the words to get an exact match i.e.,  "Johnson and Johnson" or "Smith and Wesson".

#3 ksvari

ksvari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

IOFarmer: thanks for the suggestion. As a test, we tried putting quotation marks around the brand names in a couple of documents, but NVivo still picked up each word separately -- as if the quotation marks were not there. Again, this was for a more generalized Word Frequency Query.

#4 IOFarmer

IOFarmer

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:30 AM

Hmm, that is strange. I just tested with one of my data sets and found it provided the exact word match using quotation marks. Do you have the "spread to" option set to something other than "none"? I found it did not perform the way I intended when the spread was set to "broad context" for example and would offer relevant responses that had the words I was looking for but did not highlight them in the "dataset" output view (right vertical tab between reference and word tree after running your query).

If changing the spread option to "none" doesn't work hopefully the QSR expert will be able to provide a better option.

good luck!

#5 ksvari

ksvari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Ah, I think the explanation for our different results is this ....  

We have the brand names in the documents we imported (to Internals) and wanted the general Word Frequency Query to include the brand name in its results -- say, for a Word Cloud for presentation purposes. We went into those imported documents, selected "Edit," and then put the brand names in quotation marks. Then we re-ran the Word Frequency Query, specifying the 50 most common words. NVivo ignored the quotation marks; the query results returned each word of the brand name as a separate word.

Are you, on the other hand, specifying a compound noun (or a phrase) in the query itself? Just asking NVivo to find instances of those words?

#6 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hello ksvari & IOFarmer,

NVivo currently does not have an option to group together words when running a Word Frequency query. I’ll pass your suggestion to our product team for consideration in future versions of NVivo.

The quotation mark and other special characters & operators can only be used in a Text Search query in NVivo. Feel free to see the below help link for more information:

http://help-nv11.qsr...d_operators.htm

Regards,

Rahul

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#7 ksvari

ksvari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Rahul,  Thank you for the official reply. And thank you, too, for passing the suggestion along to the product team. Since brands often are the subject of inquiries, it would be great if there were a compound noun option for the Word Frequency query.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users