A simple text count widget

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MathewJC

MathewJC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Mental Health research, PTSD, Mood/Anxiety, Alcohol/Other Drugs, Dual diagnosis, Co-occurring Disorders, Comorbidity, Trauma - military, Trauma - civilian, Complex Trauma, Recovery/resilience/wellness, Multidisciplinary, Supradisciplinary, Integrated Services, Emic Perspectives, Grounded Theory

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:31 PM

Would come in very handy. Similar to how in Word or Excel selecting a batch of text or numbers will give you in the information bar a count.

#2 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

This is an interesting idea - thanks for suggesting it Mathew.  Is this something you would use during analysis...maybe to count the number of characters in a coded reference? Or is it more useful in the context of writing-up your ideas?

#3 MathewJC

MathewJC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Mental Health research, PTSD, Mood/Anxiety, Alcohol/Other Drugs, Dual diagnosis, Co-occurring Disorders, Comorbidity, Trauma - military, Trauma - civilian, Complex Trauma, Recovery/resilience/wellness, Multidisciplinary, Supradisciplinary, Integrated Services, Emic Perspectives, Grounded Theory

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hi Kath,

You're welcome. Certainly might use in the writing-up phase at least, especially with longer memos that might be transferable to the write up. Easy way to keep abreast of the day's word count target...

Kind regards

Mathew

#4 SerraSerra

SerraSerra

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

I strongly crave for such a tool as well since Nvivo puts (arbitrary) character limits on framework matrix cells , the most ironic thing is that Nvivo uses #character to calculate reference coverage etc but the actual frigging number of characters coded is impossible to find.

#5 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hi SerraSerra,

Yes, I can see how a text count would be useful (especially in the context of Framework Matrices) - thanks for the feedback because it really helps the development team to prioritise their work. 

#6 SerraSerra

SerraSerra

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Just to press the issue , another reason for this absurdly simple missing function. When coding 'in vivo' there is also a character limit which is not possible to change and even worse Nvivo does not give warning when coding pieces of text which exceed this limit but just truncates. With all respect but as a customer i feel as if Nvivo is made either by n00bs or by an evil greedy company with a management and product development team totaly unaware of the world around them. I mean if your company is realy going bankrupt it would off course be legit to not have any HR taking care of all this quite serious and quite long lasting unresolved problems (like the retarded saving system wich caused a lot of lost work to a lot of people on this forum , like the retarded 'fixedness' of most functions, like why the **** no coding in framework matrix ? , like why the **** no actual reference text in matrixcoding matrix with cases as row/column , like why the **** no possibility to remove all framework summaries in an easy way , like why the **** not possible to export matrix coding as .doc with references in the cells ? I mean why the **** ? Is everyone working for QSR on drugs or like on somekind of fatalistic bad trip ? Like , aaaah customers complain all time on the forum , meh meh , suckers they paid anyway)

, but even then i just see no reason why not to opensource the whole software so users can just reprogram themselves instead to be forced to beg for basic functions. I mean a ******* text count widget , is anyone working at Nvivo , how hard can it be ? You see it on the forum , you make an update to include this function , you put it online , everyone using Nvivo gets update message saying : we happily announce you 'text count widg' , everybody happy. But nooooo , QSR says noooo , i mean i used the software for +- half a year , no single update , i mean , are you ok QSR or have you been kidnaped , taken hostage or why the **** don't you try to do something what your users ask from you , ask from you multiple times and for a long time. I mean just today i wanted to know how to change the keyboard shortcut for coding 'in vivo' (ctrl + f8 , requires like gigantic hands/fingers ) , than i came to an old forumpost from Nvivo 7 or 8 , in which the company says they just removed this function , so yeah suck it user , we at Nvivo are better than you in defining keyboardshortcuts. I mean is Nvivo made in sovjet russia ? It definitly feels that way , in Sovjet Russia you don't customize software , software customizes you ...

#7 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

Hi SerraSerra - sorry you're feeling so frustrated.  

We have a lot of great user suggestions on our 'to-do' list and we work hard to prioritize them.

You have some really good ideas around Framework Matrices and Matrix Coding queries - it would be great if you could contact our Business Analysts and provide more detail - businessanalyst@qsr.com.au 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users