#1 meganreneewalker

meganreneewalker

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:58 AM

Hello -

I am trying to print all of my nodes and descriptions in one place, similar to a codebook. Is there a way I can do this? So far my team and I have only been able to print one node and description at a time.

Thanks for your help!

Megan

#2 meganreneewalker

meganreneewalker

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:03 AM

Can anyone help with this? I have looked through the forums and have not found anything.

Thanks for your help!

Megan

#3 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hello Megan,

You can print more than one Node by selecting multiple nodes to be printed. E.g. selecting one Node then hold the Ctrl button down, click the other nodes you're wanting to print then select print. This will not give you a result like a Casebook, as the Tree nodes and Free nodes don't have attributes assigned to them. Only the Case Nodes can have attributes.

Alternatively, you can run a Node Summary Report for all Nodes and their description. Only drawback to this report is, you'll also get some unwanted information like, Created and Modify On, number if Sources, References, Words, Paragraphs, Regions.

The Node Summary Report can be done via Tools menu > Report > Node Summary.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
David Tran

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#4 squashua

squashua

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hello Megan (and Nvivo if you're 'listening'),

Your request for a simple batch export of node names and their descriptions is what my team and I have wanted for over a year now. I haven't found any easy way of creating one output file that includes node names and their descriptions. Instead, it's a terrible process of exporting descriptions on a node-by-node basis and then copying and pasting (one-by-one) into Excel.

Nvivo, PLEASE update your software to make this functionality available. It's important to be able to not only see the entirety of the node set but also to create note cards for pile sorts.

Thank you,

Joshua Richardson

#5 Kate Edwards-Davis

Kate Edwards-Davis

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hi Megan and Joshua,

Here's another approach you might like to try - customising and exporting the list view for your nodes.

• Open up your Free Node list and select a Node
  • In the View menu, select List View > Customise Current View...
  • In this dialogue you can choose which columns are displayed - select Icon, Name and Description (and any other columns you want to include - such as Nickname)
  • Remove the columns you don't want to include
  • Under the Project menu, select Export List...

This will create an Excel file listing the Names and descriptions of all the Free Nodes in your project. You can repeat the process to export a list of your Tree Nodes and Case Nodes.

Regards,
Kate Edwards-Davis

Kate Edwards-Davis Business Analyst

T +61 3 9840 1100 F +61 3 9840 1500
info@qsrinternational.com | www.qsrinternational.com

#6 bensblownup

bensblownup

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Grounded Theory
    Medical Sociology
    Chronic Pain

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Apologies for posting a reply with so much space, my University is still on IE v6.0 and the formating options are preventing me seeing my post in this reply box.

I too had a question regarding printing and was heartened to see that I was not the only one struggling with this. I want to print the source document (an interview transcript) with the codes annotated alongside this - as you might find with the comments facility in Microsoft Word. Is there any way of doing this?? My supervisor is not used to using NVIVO and she would like to see the nodes alongside the text.

The only way I've currently been able to view the nodes is by hovering over the source document coding density, but I don't think I can print it out like this. Has anyone any ideas?! Could this facility be incorporated in future NVIVO versions if it's not possible now??!

Ben

#7 Perelandra

Perelandra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hi Ben

You can print out a source document with coding stripes alongside, but only if your printer has the ability to print two sheets to a page.

1. Open the source document.
2. Open the coding stripes.
3. Open the print menu.
4. Make sure 'coding stripes' is ticked.
5. Make sure it is set up to print two pages per sheet.

The drawback to NVivo's ability to do this - apart from the printer issue - is that if you have too many nodes they will spill onto a second or even a third page. Then you lose the ability to see all the coding side by side.

I hope future incarnations of NVivo will come up with a better way of printing out coding stripes.

Hope that helps.

Perelandra

#8 bensblownup

bensblownup

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Grounded Theory
    Medical Sociology
    Chronic Pain

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hi Perelandra

Thanks for your thoughts on this. This only problem is you cannot print out more than two hundred nodes - this is the maximum it seems to be able to select. I've got around 500 nodes.

Any ideas?

By the way, do you know how you set up NVIVO to print on two pages? I can't figure this out.

Best,
Ben

#9 Perelandra

Perelandra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:56 AM

Hi Ben

This is one of the limitations of NVivo unfortunately. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you only select the nodes that you know code that document. That should cut it down a bit.

Regarding printing: when you give the command to print it should display your printer menu. Click on 'properties'. If your printer is capable of printing 2 pages per sheet it will be one of the options here.

Perelandra

#10 meganreneewalker

meganreneewalker

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hey all -

So now it is a few years later and I still need to do this, just now I need to do it in NVivo 9. I took an NVivo Advanced course and it was covered quickly, but now when I try to take the steps described in class, I just get the *coding* for the nodes, not the list of nodes and descriptions.

In class, we were told to use:

• Node.name
  • Node.description
  • Node.folder location
[/list]
However, I feel like I'm missing a step that would give me the actual list of nodes and descriptors. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#11 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi Megan,

If you just want a list of all Nodes in your project along with Node Description and Folder Location, you can create a report in NVivo 9.
  • Create a new report from 'Node' View using the Report Wizard
  • Select 'Node.Name', 'Node.Description', 'Node.Folder Location' fields in Step 2 of the Wizard. Click Next
  • If you want to filter this report, add any filters in Step 3
  • In Step 4, you can group the results by one of the available fields. You can choose 'Node.Folder Location' to group Nodes by their Folder Locations ifyou want.
  • Select any other options if you wish in Steps 5, 6, 7
  • In Step 8 of the Wizard, Enter a name and click on 'Finish' to save the Report and run it.
This report should give you the Node names and their descriptions. Refer to the link below for more details on Reports:

http://help-nv9-en.q...nd_extracts.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mohammad Shakeb

QSR Support

#12 smithxsmith

smithxsmith

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thank you that is very useful - I've succeeded in printing out a list of nodes and their descriptions. However the nodes are simply listed alphabetically (ie like a list of free nodes, they have lost their hierarchical tree structure). Ideally I want a report in which the order of the parent nodes and child nodes is maintained. Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks

Andrea

#13 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi smithxsmith!

Thank you for your post.

You can certainly do this by running the same Report that Mohammad mentioned above, however replace "Node.Name" with "Node.Hierarchical Name". Group your results by "Node.Hierarchical Name" and you should see a Report with the nodes grouped together as they appear in your Nodes list view.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best regards,

Richard Simms

QSR Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users