9 replies to this topic

#1 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hi there, 

I just wondered if anyone could tell me how to create a report in NVivo when there is a large framework and many different sources. We are looking to only create a report for one of these sources and one overarching node, 'Coherence' (with many smaller nodes). 

I'd appreciate any advice you could give!

Kind regards and many thanks,

Liz

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hi Liz,

In this case you should be able to run the predefined “Coding summary by node” report and filter the results to only include the source and nodes you are interested in. You can find some more information about this report at the following link:

http://help-nv11.qsr...nd_extracts.htm

You could also use the report designer or report wizard to create your own report and add a filter to only include the results you’re looking for. Please see the following link for how you can do this:

http://help-nv11.qsr...port_wizard.htm

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

Hi Heather,

Many thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't make this clear before, I was trying through the method you recommended and I was getting a little confused given the array of many different options. I ended up using the query tool 'coding' to find all content coded under a certain set of codes for a chosen source. Can you see any issues with approaching it this way? 

Kind regards,

Liz

#4 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

Hi Liz,

Whether you choose to run a report or run a coding query will depend on how you want the information to be formatted. Running a coding query the way you are will still get you all the references you’re interested in, but the information displayed is slightly different. The result of your coding query will just display all of the references that meet your query criteria, while the report would display more information such as who each reference was coded by. I’ve attached some screenshots so you can see the difference.

Attached File  report.png   38.85K   5 downloadsAttached File  coding query.png   33.18K   8 downloads

If you do wish to run a report, the filter options you’d want to change are “Node.Heirarchical Name” (to select the nodes you are interested in) and “Node.Coded Source.Hierarchical Name” (to select the relevant sources). 

Attached File  Filter details.png   30.35K   5 downloads

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

#5 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hi Heather,

That's so helpful, thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Liz

#6 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hi Heather,

I've given that a go and it comes out as attached. Sorry to keep asking questions, I think I'm nearly there with it now but it's a little illegible. It'd be great to just have the nodes and coded text, do you know how I might be able to get this?

Many thanks,

Liz

Attached Files

#7 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Hi Liz,

If all you’re after is the node names and coded text you could create a custom report using the report wizard. In you case, you’d probably want to use the option to create your report from a node view and include the fields Node.Name or Node.Heirarchical Name and Coded Source.Coding Reference.Coded Text.

You would also want to add filters for Node.Hierarchical Name and Node.Coded Source.Hierarchical Name so that you can filter the results to only include the nodes and sources you’re interested in. I've added a few screenshots of the settings I chose to generate a sample report, but feel free to chose whichever fields you'd like on your report. 

You could tweak the report in the report designer afterwards so that the display is to your liking and all of the fields are legible.

Regards,

Heather

Attached Files

QSR Support

#8 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi Heather,

That's brilliant, thanks for your help. I've tried this and I'm not getting any nodes at all. I think it's because of our node structure being:

Coherence (0 coding)

I

Differentiation (0 coding)

I

Question 1 (many codes); Question 2 (many codes); Question 3 (many codes); etc

I have therefore added manually in the filter stage, all questions under filter: Node.Hierarchical Name, based on your advice, although am I right in thinking there's an easier way to do this with 'aggregate'? Only problem is I can't work out how and where to use it! I've tried a few times to no avail. 

I promise this is my last question!!

Many thanks again,

Liz

#9 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hi Liz,

Here are some instructions on how to turn on node aggregation:

http://help-nv11.qsr...egate_nodes.htm?

Node aggregation only “rolls up” the immediate child nodes, so if you wanted to get the references for “Question 1”, etc. when running this report using the “Coherence” node you would need to have node aggregation turned on for both your “Differentiation and “Coherence” nodes.

If you don’t want to turn on node aggregation you could continue running the report the same way you are by selecting all of the child nodes you’re interested in. There’s a checkbox at the top of the “Select Project Items” window to “Automatically select descendant nodes” which might make this process a bit faster for you if you have a lot of nodes to select.

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

#10 Liz L

Liz L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts