#1 elizabeth.goodfellow

elizabeth.goodfellow

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hi Team,

My second question for today is also about endnote - my bibliographic records are central to the design of my systematic literature review, which means that I need to set up each endnote reference as an individual case node in Nvivo and code/link other items about the same article to that case. This is partly because I need to export multiple versions of my data from Endnote to Nvivo to separate out the abstracts from other 'notes' and to identify individual authors etc.

So my question is - where can I find the Endnote record number in Nvivo after import so that I can use it to create unique cases and code/auto-code to cases? I have checked the .txt/xls and .xml files that I can export from endnote and I can see that the record number is included in the export from endnote when the right filters are used for the export, but the record number seems to disappear in Nvivo post-import (see attached screenshot). Mysterious.

Appreciate it if anyone can help me find these as I am sure I can make a work-around but it would be better to have a more reliable-repeatable process.

Cheers,

Elizabeth G

Attached Files

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

The record number from the EndNote XML file is not imported into NVivo.

To create unique cases in NVivo, select the sources (you can press CTRL + A to select all the cases) that you want to create cases for and right-click the selection and choose Create As Cases. A case is created for each source with the case name equivalent to the source name. You can then create case classifications and classify your cases. 

For details on creating case classifications, please refer to the following help link:

http://help-nv11.qsr...sifications.htm

Regards,

Andrew

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 elizabeth.goodfellow

elizabeth.goodfellow

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

A quick update here. I have discovered that you can at least see the record number in Nvivo if you import references using the Author (Year) format for the references (not the Title format), which results in references with attached internals etc that look like what's in the attachment Attached File  Capture.PNG   420.98K   2 downloads. This inclusion of the EN record number in the title is handy for checking the consistency of the data imported and distinguishing easily between sources by the same author/s.

This still does not result in a classification attribute of EN record number. I've also tried including the EN record number as data in a custom field in an output style in endnote but for some reason the record number data still does not appear in the classification sheet even though other custom field data does. Odd.

What this means though is if I/you want to link other items to endnote record numbers, there still is not a direct way, so I cannot for example create a case list of individual authors and link these to sources via EN record numbers easily...as far as I know :-).

I'm still working on this occassionally so will post updates when I have more info to share.

Cheers,

Elizabeth G

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Endnote, Literature Review, Import, Nvivo11 Plus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users