Photo

bulk/auto group multiple sources that relate to the same entity based on attributes

case nodes attributes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nixaj

nixaj

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a database set-up issue in Nvivo. I've been looking around for answers but as yet had no luck. 

I'm working on a project that analyses a collection of c. 400 conversation transcripts relating to 50 participants. I have imported the conversations as sources and created a source classification for them - importing a classification sheet with attributes including the participants' active within each conversation (in three separate columns to allow for multiple participants). I have also created a case node for each participant and a classification based on another imported sheet.

My issue is that I cannot find away to efficiently group/link/connect the sources to relevant participant. I notice in the user guide that one of the functions of case nodes is to "group multiple sources that relate to the same entity — for example, code an interview transcript, survey responses and follow-up correspondence to the same person", however, I can't find any further information on this within the guide.

If anyone has any advice on how I might do this, preferably without manually coding each source to its relevant case nodes, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

#2 canarik

canarik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Conflict Analysis & Resolution, Terrorism, Ethnic and Religiously Motivated Terrorism, Cyber-terrorism, Security, Intelligence, Qualitative Research, Nvivo, and Technology.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

Hello Adam,

The easiest way to solve this issue would be to combine all 4 transcripts into a single document. Then apply classifications to your 50 documents.

However, in my experience, combining transcripts is not an option in many situations, since each unique document has its own unique data characteristics.

In that case, I would suggest you to look at this topic that I previously shared my ideas about a similar question.

http://forums.qsrint...arik#entry16869

Hope this helps, 

Can ARIK, Ph.D.

#3 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Hi Adam,

The best approach will depend on how your sources are formatted and how much of your source you wish to code to each case. If you wish to code the entire source to a particular case you can select multiple sources in list view by holding down the CTRL key and then bulk code these to the relevant case.

Please see the following link for details:

http://help-nv11.qsr...urces_to_a_node

If you wanted to code only part of each source to a particular case, then depending on how your source documents are formatted you may be able auto code by source style or structure. To do this your documents will need to be consistently formatted and you’ll need to make use of paragraph styles to denote each speaker. The interview documents in the sample project give an example of how you might format your documents for auto coding. You can find some more details about auto coding by source style or structure at the following link:

http://help-nv11.qsr...ent_sources.htm

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#4 nixaj

nixaj

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

Thank you both for you replies - they were very helpful, even if not quite what I had in mind. I think I'll re-import the sources and follow your advice from there.

Thanks again,
Adam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case nodes, attributes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users