• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmccaw

cmccaw

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Education; qualitative research.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

I am a new user of NVivo 11. I am importing interview audio and time-stamped transcripts and finding that NVivo is not importing .MP3 audio correctly.

The problem (example):

I have an interview audio file of 1 hour 15 minutes, saved in .WAV format, with a file size of approximately 500MB. In order to reduce overcrowding on my desktop hard-drive, I compressed the file, converting it to .MP3 format. The new file is approximately 100MB, and still shows '1 hour 15 minutes' in the file>properties>audio panel.

When I try importing the original .WAV file into NVivo, the wave-form appears correctly, and the audio track length is correct (at 1 hour 15 minutes). However, when I import the (matching) .MP3 file, the track appears as over 3 hours long - 1 hour 15 minutes of audio plus over 2 hours of silence.

Why is this a problem? This means that when I import a time-stamped transcript, the audio and the transcript are no longer synced correctly.

Request:

Of course I can just go ahead and use the original .WAV files for all of my interviews - however this will quickly become infeasible due to the large file size.

Any suggestions about what might be causing NVivo to interpret the .MP3 files incorrectly, or how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Chris

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hi Chris,

Could you open the converted MP3 file in Windows Media Player and confirm that the audio doesn't have 2 hours of silence? This will help in determining if issue is NVivo specific.

Regards,

Bhupesh

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 JHP

JHP

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Medical anthropology

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hello Chris,
I have exactly the same problem, moreover I have one mp3 file cut off before its real end, I mean I have a mp3 file with a length of 28 minutes verified with windows media player and NVivo tells me it's 23,2 minutes long! and refuses to add a timespan even if it continues to play the invisible part from the wave form from NVivo...

#4 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hi,

It seems that NVivo is unable to read the information from MP3 file properly. Could you submit a support request via http://www.qsrintern...ustomer-support & provide us the MP3 file so that we can investigate?

Regards,

Bhupesh

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#5 cmccaw

cmccaw

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Education; qualitative research.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi Bhupesh,

Thanks for your response.

I have since tried this same process and encountered the same error. A converted .mp3 file has hours of space appended to the end *only* when imported to Nvivo. When played in Windows Media Player (for example) it is recognised as having the correct length.

I will submit a request via the link, but I cannot submit the .mp3 file as it is private research data.

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audio, error, import

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users