2 replies to this topic

#1 dbane

dbane

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

When exporting data from endnote in to nvivo the source data numbers 111. However, it is duplicated in classification to 222.

I'm working in windows 7 professional with Nvivo pro.

thanks

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hi dbane,

It seems like you’ve selected the options to create and classify memos when importing your EndNote data, and therefore you have a classification for both the source and the linked memo in your classification sheet.

You will want to select the option to create memos if you want the abstract, keywords and notes to be imported from EndNote. Classifying these memos will allow you to run queries on these memos using attributes such as year and author.

It’s up to you whether these memos and their classifications are useful to your research. If you don’t want these items and you haven’t coded any of your EndNote data, you can delete and then reimport your EndNote file without these options selected.

If you’ve already coded your imported EndNote data but you don’t want the extra classifications in your classification sheet, you can manually delete the unwanted items from your classification sheet.

You can find some more information on these import options at the following links:

http://help-nv11.qsr...phical_data.htm

http://help-nv11.qsr...ta_advanced.htm

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 elizabeth.goodfellow

elizabeth.goodfellow

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi dBane,

Actually, the fact that there is double the entries probably tells you the import has worked correctly.

When you import from Endnote (EN) Nvivo creates an Internal OR external AND a memo based on an individual EN record. Nvivo then adds the bibliographic data to all the source items created as classification attributes - so you don't actually see a reference record or source in Nvivo that looks the same as what it does in Endnote unless you look at the source classification sheet for the Reference source type.

This means that as Heather said above, if you have abstract/keywords etc in the EN data, then you should end up with at least two Nvivo sources for each EN record.

This also means that tracking the numbers exported/imported etc is important to ensure your data remains complete. The easy way to check the match is go to the Export tab, open the Source Classification Sheet for reference, and right-click on the first column in the classification sheet. If you change the 'source classification name format' to hierarchical instead of name, then you'll see for each title in the list, there'll be an internal or external and memo. Scan through the list to make sure it is consistent all the way through to make sure everything has imported correctly.

I am doing a systematic literature review using Nvivo and I have found that I need to carefully track the completeness of my data from search results, to downloaded articles, to import to endnote, to import to Nvivo, and then within Nvivo as well. I have a spreadsheet I use to track this and you can use it as a start or as a basis to make your own, there's a sample copy here: https://drive.google...view?usp=sharing.

Hope this helps - this reference management stuff looks quick and easy but it still seems to take me quite a bit of time to get my head around how it works and to maintain the quality control of the data.

Cheers, Elizabeth G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users