3 replies to this topic

#1 MAL

MAL

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

Is there a way to sort query results by the date of the source?  It seems that results are sorted by the type of source and then alphabetically by the name of the source.  All my sources have a date in the attribute value.  Can I sort the query results based on the date attribute value? 

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi MAL, 

There is no direct way of achieving this. Can you please provide details about the type of query you are trying to run and the expected results so that we can try to find a work around?

Kind Regards

Sameer

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 MAL

MAL

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hello Sameer

The query results are from a matrix query.  I am working with 100s of documents that span a 5 year period that is divided into three time periods.   I want to construct a timeline of events in each of the time periods.  Having the sources sorted by date in the query results would be very helpful for this task.  I also want to 'track' how the thematic  nodes that I have coded evolve over the course of each time period.  Again, having the sources sorted by date would be very helpful.  The sources are grouped by the time period and also have a specific date included in the source properties.  The three time periods are also nodes.  So, that when I code something using a thematic node, it is also coded to the time period node.  The matrix query has only one row:  time period and 11 columns for the thematic nodes I am interested in.  I have a matrix query for each time period.

Hope this is the information you need to help.

Cheers

Amy

#4 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Hello Amy,

There is one possible workaround, however it is likely to involve a lot of manual work. The work-around is to rename the sources and add the date at the beginning of the source name in NVivo. For example, 20170328_Sourcename, 20170225_SourceName etc.

Renaming the source doesn’t affect it’s coding or attributes. Once the sources have been renamed, you can run the matrix coding query and export the results to Excel (right click Export Results) and use Excel to sort the results as per your needs.

I have sent your suggestion about sorting query results by date to the relevant team which collates all feature requests and prioritizes them accordingly.

Regards,
Sameer

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users