#1 areat

areat

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi all,

My first post to this Forum. I've mostly been learning by doing (and watching Youtube tutorials) in Nvivo to date, and it has been ok, but yesterday disaster struck. While watching a great tutorial about creating models, and simultaneously creating lot of my own, both test and with real data, the system crashed. I felt certain that the models would have been saving each time (at no time did the tutorial actively talk about saving - only exporting as .jpeg) but when I re-opened Nvivo, (it was Nvivo, not my computer that crashed) all the models, word frequency query charts and word search diagrams were gone. The usual "it's been 15 mins since you last saved" did not appear at all during the hours I was creating the models, and I guess I presumed that as I was actively working in the programme, it was actively saving as I worked.

Does anyone have any experience of this and know if and how it might be possible to recover the models etc?

Anne

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear of the data loss.

NVivo doesn't automatically save the work as you go, so it's possible the work was not saved. Do you know where your project file was saved; was it on a networked location by any change, or was it saved locally on your machine?

Cheers,

Tane

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 areat

areat

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Network (work) - but when I opened the most recent version of the Project, it was without the models and charts....

#4 areat

areat

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

SO when working in models, do youhave to save them constantly? In the Youtube tutorial, they spoke abour exporting the model, but then it's not able to be edited. I would prefer the mdoel to be saved in Nvivo - I'm assuming it would be "live" then, and able to be updated or edited? /Anne

#5 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Hi,

When working in an NVivo project file, regardless of the item you are working on, the project file will still need to be saved in order to save the changes.

It’s possible you did save, but NVivo crashed when saving the changes to the networked drive. In this situation the data should still be in a temp location on the machine. Usually if this happens you will get a prompt indicating that there is a newer version of the project you can restore. However, if you didn’t get this prompt it’s still worth checking just to make sure.

1. From the Start screen, start typing Explorer and click on File Explorer in the search results displayed
  2. A new File Explorer window opens up. Click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items option.
  3. Navigate to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp
  4. Look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a _log at the end, so it would be '<project name>_log'.
  5. Rename this file to ‘OLD<project name>_log'. If there are any other files that have ‘_log’ at the end, rename those as well by adding the word old at the start of the filename

In this Temp folder, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be '<project name>.tmp.nvp'. This project file will most likely contain your most recent changes to your project.

To ensure you still have a backup of this version, make a copy of it first. You should rename this project file to '<project name>.nvp'. You can do this by right clicking on your mouse and selecting the Rename option.

Try opening this project file. 

Cheers,

Tane

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users