I am in NVivo 11 for Mac, and I'm trying to import audio files, but am getting an "Unable to generate waveform" error (in two different error formats oddly). I have <20 .mp3 files that were all recorded on the same device. When it errors out, Nvivo Helper is open on my dock. My OSX version is El Capitan.
Here is what I have tried so far:
1) When I first tried to import into the "Interviews" folder in the Internal Sources folder, I successfully imported a few files and got errors on others. Some of these errors read "Unable to generate waveform", while others read Error: Cannot import - unable to generate waveform". I tried again, and a few of the errors cleared. I could not get them all.
2) I tried importing from both my Dropbox folder and from my local drive. Same thing.
3) I realized it might be the file size and decreased it by lowering the bitrate. To make things easier, I stupidly deleted the successfully imported files and re-imported all of them. Now none of them will import.
4) I used a solution from the forum and opened each file in Quicktime and exported it as audio only. This converted the file into an AAC (.m4a) file, but it increased the size. So I then compressed it by decreasing the bitrate and created more lightweight .m4a files. These still would not import.
5) I tried re-installing NVivo. I tried starting a completely new project. I tried messing with the security preferences. Still getting the error.
6) I gave up on importing the files and tried linking the files as external sources. This I did successfully, except NVivo does not recognize them as audio files, so I can't transcribe in NVivo.
Please tell me what to try next. I am out of ideas. Thank you!