5 replies to this topic

#1 jackenstein

jackenstein

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

I've transcribed interview data in NVivo and have coded each of the interviews (by right clicking on the source) at case nodes (2 interviews per case). I want to be able to do my coding by looking at all the data for each case, so I run a quick query for a case (by double-clicking on the case node).

When the results come up, they are totally out of order, and because they don't show the time stamps themselves, I can't tell which thoughts come immediately after others, which makes it hard to read through and make sense of. See attached screenshot as example. Reference 2 is literally the last entry in the transcript and Reference 3 is the second to last.. but it's not in completely reverse order, because if I go to the end of the results for this source, it's just a random transcript entry. 

Can you help me figure out how to get query results that show transcript entries in the correct time order?

Attached Files

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

Have you edited your transcript at all since you created a case? This could change the order each reference appears in when viewing your case node in reference view.

There isn’t a way to manually adjust the order of your references, but you could try adding the timestamp to each transcript row so you know where each reference should logically appear. Please see the attached screenshot for an example. 

I will pass feedback regarding the ability to see the timestamp for each reference when viewing a case node on to our product manager for consideration in a future version of NVivo for Mac. 

Regards, 

Heather

Attached Files

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 jackenstein

jackenstein

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Thank you Heather - I have not edited the transcripts since I created the cases. I created the cases at the end, after completing all of the transcription. I've checked several interviews and they all show up like this, out of order. Any ideas about why this is happening? 

Here's a clue I found that might provide more information: I checked out the sample file and played around with the Helen interview and transcript. When I query the Helen case node, the results show up in the correct order. BUT, when I import a new copy of the helen interview and create test transcript rows, numbered 1-4 in increasing time order, then code that interview to a new case, then query THAT case, the results show up in backwards order.

I also tried creating the case node first, then importing the interview, then creating the transcript rows... and that case query (see screenshot) shows up in 3-2-1-4 order. Any thoughts on what is going on here??

I appreciate your suggestion of manually adding timestamps to each transcript row, but that's pretty impractical for me right now as I have hundreds of rows of transcribed data at this point. 

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files

#4 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information. I’m in the process of discussing this with our product team to see if they have any suggestions. Please allow 2-3 business days for them to complete their investigation. I’ll update you as soon as I hear back from them.

Kind Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

#5 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your patience. I have checked with our product team and this is a bug within NVivo. It has been raised with our technical team to be fixed in a future version of NVivo.

Here are a few things you could try as a workaround for now.

Option 1

1.     Export the transcript in text format

2.     Import the same video into NVivo again so that there are 2 occurrences of the same video

3.     Import the transcript rows whilst in edit mode for the 2nd video. Ensure the format can be accepted for Import audio or video transcripts

4.     Code as case/node

Option 2

1.     Export the transcript in text/doc format

2.     Import as document

3.     Code as case/node

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

#6 jackenstein

jackenstein

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Thank you Heather. I appreciate the work around ideas and that you raised the issue with the technical team. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coding query, transcripts, results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users