3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Weir

Charles Weir

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

I feel very stupid asking this question, but it's defeated my attempts to google or search for an answer... so...

I've coded a long document, and I scroll back to the top. I have highlighting enabled (View - Highlight - Coding for all nodes), so I can see I've coded a particular line.  

I want to easily see what codes I've assigned to that line. 

I've tried various settings of View - Coding Stripes, but none make it easy to see what codes I've assigned. (View - Coding Stripes - All Nodes Coding is probably best, but then I have to scroll horizontally through hundreds of nodes to find which one is actually assigned). View - Coding Stripes - Selected items... is useless because it requires me to know the answer I'm looking for! The other settings don't help either.

So how can I easily display what codes are assigned to a specific line?

- Charles

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi Charles,

Coding stripes would be the best way to review your coding. You might find this video helpful for some pointers on how you can use them effectively and a few other tips on how you can review your coding.

https://youtu.be/TxB6O9CtDTs

The following link also has some things that may also be helpful to you.

http://help-nv11mac....lore_coding.htm

Regards,

Heather

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#3 Charles Weir

Charles Weir

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Err - in other words Nvivo doesn't support a clear way to show what has been coded.  That seems bizarre, since coding is the primary use of Nvivo. It means there's no easy way for a researcher to validate their own or someone else's coding. 

I find it difficult to understand how the product has reached its current level of acceptance with such a significant omission, but maybe there isn't the pressure to produce verifiable work that there would be for in product aimed at business users... Pity!  :-(

Perhaps it might be possible to create a version of the 'All nodes coding' coding strips that sorts the stripes so that codes relating to the current viewport appear on the left (and are therefore visible)? It would require re-generating the coding stripe view for each vertical movement or resize of the viewport, which isn't a part of the current architecture, but should be doable.

- Charles

#4 canarik

canarik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Conflict Analysis & Resolution, Terrorism, Ethnic and Religiously Motivated Terrorism, Cyber-terrorism, Security, Intelligence, Qualitative Research, Nvivo, and Technology.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

Hello Charles,

Surely there is a way to see which codes you have used for a certain section of your data.

Let's say you open a text document with multiple pages (length is not important). It is possible you might have coded a section with more than one code, and even with 50 codes (again code count is NOT important) you can still see them. 

However, the more codes you have used the more space you need to display them. This is an expected requirement for ALL software, regardless from their purpose.

Take Excel for instance, with a 14" laptop screen you can only see up until to the "U" column without scrolling. When you connect a 21.5" external monitor to your laptop, then you can see up until to the "AC" column without scrolling.

Nvivo (and other caqdas) is no exception to this.

Having this reality in mind, I would suggest you this:

Open your document undock it and send it to a larger screen something like 21,5" (the larger is the better), click view tab and then coding stripes button. This time select "nodes most coding". Click coding stripes button again and select "number of stripes". When you see the dialog box, increase the default number (which should be 7) to the number you desire like 50 or something. Then arrange the border line of your coding stripes section closer to your text. This way you should be able to see all 50 codes that you have assigned to a specific section. 

Below you can see an example.

If you have like 200 codes for a section, just connect your laptop to a bigger screen. In such cases I connect my laptop to my 46" TV and have no problems of seeing high number of coding.

Hope this helps,

Attached Files

Can ARIK, Ph.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users