4 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Vermaak

Hans Vermaak

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Is there a way to reset the time out so to allow for large matrix queries?

I have a lot of data and codes in Nvivo7. We're talking a 200MB nvp file with over 10.000 references coded. Matrix queries do take a lot of time sometimes. Which is no problem: I run them overnight. However sometimes I get a 'time out' response with the request to narrow the scopes. Narrowing the scope is often possible and I've done so where I could. But some queries I do want to perform even if it takes a long time for the computer to process.

If anyone has a suggestion here on how to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

#2 Daniel Buffett

Daniel Buffett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

Dear Hans

We don't encourage people to hack around with configuration files. You can get yourself into an awful mess.

BUT...

You can actually change the timeout period using the following instructions:

Firstly you need to open the file Isolated.Config which is in the very bottom folder of your Isolated Storage (similar location to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\IsolatedStorage\mqxypiyn.j14\yf5wmxwt.gxy\StrongName.uxqcj3vil5ggexyvqohresqdvddip4u1\AssemFiles\QSR.NVivo.7.0)

Open the Isolated.config file with Notepad and search for the following value:
<SQLCommandTimeout>60</SQLCommandTimeout>

The '60' refers to seconds. You can increase this to whatever value you like. Note, this value does not refer to the length of time of the entire query, rather how long SQL should wait to receive data packets before timing out. It is only in extreme cases like yours that 60 is not enough. Increasing this value to say 600 should do the trick. Remember to save the changes when you close Notepad. And make sure you are doing all of this with NVivo 7 closed.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Daniel Buffett
QSR International
Daniel Buffett Test Manager

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia
T +61 3 9840 1100 F +61 3 9840 1500
info@qsrinternational.com | www.qsrinternational.com

#3 pozaicer

pozaicer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Cognition, Perception, Tacit knowing, Environmental Psychology, Psychology of Science, Technology

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

Dear Hans and Daniel,

I've had the same problem with the matrix queries and following the advice I managed to solve the problem. In the beginning I didn't want to spend longer than already so I set the value to 160 and it timed out again, so ended up settling for the recommended 600 and worked fine but only after about 1.5 hrs, better than naught after all!!!

cheers

B)

#4 j.innes

j.innes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

Hello,

Sorry to revive an old thread. Do you know if this works on Nvivo11 too? I can find the appdata files for Nvivo10, but there's no such line of code in the .config files (I can't find an isolated.config file either). Or is there a more elegant fix in Nvivo11 now?

With thanks,

Julia

#5 j.innes

j.innes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

Hello,

Sorry to revive an old thread. Do you know if this works on Nvivo11 too? I can find the appdata files for Nvivo10, but there's no such line of code in the .config files (I can't find an isolated.config file either). Or is there a more elegant fix in Nvivo11 now?

With thanks,

Julia

I have posted a solution to this in the Nvivo11 forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users