4 replies to this topic

#1 C Hilton

C Hilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am using NVIVO 2 software and I need to collapse some free nodes as essentially they are describing the same thing. How do I do this?

Similarly, I will need to change some of my tree nodes into free nodes could someone please advise me as to how to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Charlotte

#2 Perelandra

Perelandra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am using NVIVO 2 software and I need to collapse some free nodes as essentially they are describing the same thing. How do I do this?

Similarly, I will need to change some of my tree nodes into free nodes could someone please advise me as to how to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte

It's been a while since I used NVivo 2, so I'm going to answer your questions from memory!

To collapse free nodes which describe the same thing, you need to merge nodes. Right click on the node you want to merge, click copy. Then go to the node you want to combine it with. Click merge. Check it has merged correctly by opening this node. Then go back and delete the first node. DO NOT try this with 'cut' rather than 'copy' because if you make a mistake your cut node is gone forever! (This is a feature which NVivo 7 has improved upon - it can undo mistakes like that).

To turn a tree node into a free node, I think all you have to do is drag and drop. You will have to do this individually with each of the children/grandchildren of the tree node, because free nodes do not have a hierarchy system.

Hope that helps.

Perelandra

#3 C Hilton

C Hilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hi Charlotte

It's been a while since I used NVivo 2, so I'm going to answer your questions from memory!

To collapse free nodes which describe the same thing, you need to merge nodes. Right click on the node you want to merge, click copy. Then go to the node you want to combine it with. Click merge. Check it has merged correctly by opening this node. Then go back and delete the first node. DO NOT try this with 'cut' rather than 'copy' because if you make a mistake your cut node is gone forever! (This is a feature which NVivo 7 has improved upon - it can undo mistakes like that).

To turn a tree node into a free node, I think all you have to do is drag and drop. You will have to do this individually with each of the children/grandchildren of the tree node, because free nodes do not have a hierarchy system.

Hope that helps.

Perelandra

#4 C Hilton

C Hilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hi Perelanda,

I have tried to merge free nodes in the way that you suggest but with no success.

I am able to right click on a free node and have the option of 'copy' but when I go to right click onto the free node I wish to merge, there is no right click 'merge' option.

Similarly, when I move tree nodes into seperate free nodes, I will also need to merge them as one free node and using the above procedure, I have had no luck.

Any other suggestions??????

Help is greatly appreciated, I am in the final tidying up stages of my initial analysis

Charlotte : )

#5 Perelandra

Perelandra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hi Charlotte

As I said, I'm going on memory here which may be a little rusty since I'm using NVivo 7 now instead of NVivo 2. Perhaps it is not possible to merge while in free nodes. Instead, could you copy and paste the free nodes into tree nodes, and then merge them?

Also, try merging tree nodes first before you put them into free nodes (if you are working that way round).

Alternatively, would putting similar nodes into a node set help you?

Perelandra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users