5 replies to this topic

#1 Maga

Maga

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:18 AM

Hi! I've recently started using NVivo 8 for a project that was originally created in NVivo 7. Unfortunately I've discovered that NVivo 8 seems to be much less "stable" on my laptop, i.e. it freezes and crashes much more often... Is there ANY way of going back to NVivo 7 with what I've got in NVivo 8??? (no audio/video and I'm happy to give up pdfs...) I know that one cant simply open the newer version in the older one but perhaps there's some other way? Will be grateful for any suggestions...

#2 Pat Bazeley

Pat Bazeley

Advanced Member

• Trainers
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:methods generally and data analysis in particular
    combining qualitative and quantitative analysis
    research career development and performance

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Go back to an NV7 backup version of your project?
Sort nodes by modification date (using the All nodes list), to identify recently added coding?
Pat

Dr Patricia Bazeley
Research Support P/L
pat@researchsupport.com.au
http://www.researchsupport.com.au

#3 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hi! I've recently started using NVivo 8 for a project that was originally created in NVivo 7. Unfortunately I've discovered that NVivo 8 seems to be much less "stable" on my laptop, i.e. it freezes and crashes much more often... Is there ANY way of going back to NVivo 7 with what I've got in NVivo 8??? (no audio/video and I'm happy to give up pdfs...) I know that one cant simply open the newer version in the older one but perhaps there's some other way? Will be grateful for any suggestions...

Hi,

These problems you have experienced with NVivo 8 are something we at QSR are keen to investigate. Would you be able to contact us via email at support@qsrinternational.com and attach the NVivo error logs that have been created. An NVivo error log is a text file that is found in your My Documents folder and the title of the text file will be determined by the date and time that the error occurred, in the format of err<Year>-<Month>-<Day>T<Time>. Can you also advise as to the last action you had performed prior to the crash, and the last action performed prior to the program not responding (prior to freezing).

Regards,

Justin

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#4 Maga

Maga

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

Go back to an NV7 backup version of your project?
Sort nodes by modification date (using the All nodes list), to identify recently added coding?
Pat

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. The problem is that I moved on with my project quite a bit since I switched to NVivo8 so if I just go back to my last NVivo7 backup I will lose the new stuff... What I'm after is somehow being able to go back to using NVivo7 but bring with me the elements I created/modified/developed in NVivo8... Thanks!

#5 Pat Bazeley

Pat Bazeley

Advanced Member

• Trainers
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:methods generally and data analysis in particular
    combining qualitative and quantitative analysis
    research career development and performance

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Basically the message is you can't take those elements back. So the option you are left with, other than simply going back to a backup copy, is to identify the changes you have made in NV8 and recreate them in NV7. My second suggestion, therefore, was for a possibility to speed up identification of where you have added coding by identifying those nodes which have been modified since you moved to NV8 - then you could check them to see what you've added, make a list, etc - all rather tedious however. Probably better to sort out your problems with NV8 (cf Justin's reply) and keep working in it!
Pat

Dr Patricia Bazeley
Research Support P/L
pat@researchsupport.com.au
http://www.researchsupport.com.au

#6 Maga

Maga

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

Basically the message is you can't take those elements back. So the option you are left with, other than simply going back to a backup copy, is to identify the changes you have made in NV8 and recreate them in NV7. My second suggestion, therefore, was for a possibility to speed up identification of where you have added coding by identifying those nodes which have been modified since you moved to NV8 - then you could check them to see what you've added, make a list, etc - all rather tedious however. Probably better to sort out your problems with NV8 (cf Justin's reply) and keep working in it!
Pat

Many thanks! I was just hoping that perhaps there's "a way"... Btw, your book "qda with nvivo" is brilliant :) I keep recommending it to others!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users