• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

Can somebody explain to me how to get a very simple attribute summary report? In NVivo 8 I simply went to Tools -> Reports -> Attribute summary, ticked attribute value and then got a nice report stating the attributes, their values and the number of cases per value. And if I ticked 'Include list of cases' I got the cases as well.

In NVivo 9 this seems to be muuuuch more difficult. Too many options with additional options (where I don't know what they actually refer to).

So, how do I do that?

#2 Kate Edwards-Davis

Kate Edwards-Davis

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Leadershipines,

To get a report on Attribute Values, with a count of Nodes for each Attribute Value, you can run the "Node Classification Summary report" (shipped with NVivo 9). To run this report, click on the Reports folder in the Reports section. Then select the "Node Classification Summary Report" and choose "Run Report" (either in the context menu or in the 'Explore' tab of the ribbon.

The Node Classification Summary Report only gives you a count of Nodes for each Attribute Value - it does not produce a list of Nodes for each Attribute Value. However, in NVivo 9 you can create your own custom report to do this, using the "New Report" option from the Explore tab.

I have produced one this morning using the New Report wizard in NVivo 9 and I've attached it to this post. Anyone can import this report into any NVivo 9 project to get an Attribute Summary with a list of Nodes for each Attribute Value. To import a report file, choose Import Report from the External Data tab in the ribbon.

(As you explore the reports tool, I'd like to encourage you and other NVivo 9 users to share any custom reports and extracts you create that might be useful to other NVivo 9 users.)

Regards

Attached Files

Kate Edwards-Davis Business Analyst

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia
T +61 3 9840 1100 F +61 3 9840 1500
info@qsrinternational.com | www.qsrinternational.com

#3 Leonie Daws

Leonie Daws

Advanced Member

• Trainers
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Kihi Consultancies offers training and consultancy for NVivo including:
    On-site individualised workshops for work groups and research teams using their own data
    Qualitative data analysis services via teleworking

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hi Kate,

Nice gesture, thank you. However, when I click on the download link I get the following error message "[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment." Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Leonie
Leonie Daws
Kihi Consultancies
Qualitative Research Training and Consulting Service
Mallacoota, Australia
Email: leonie@kihi.com.au

URL: http://www.kihi.com.au

#4 Kate Edwards-Davis

Kate Edwards-Davis

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for the heads-up. Our forum administrator has resolved the problem and you should be able to download the file attachment now.

Thanks

#5 Leonie Daws

Leonie Daws

Advanced Member

• Trainers
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Kihi Consultancies offers training and consultancy for NVivo including:
    On-site individualised workshops for work groups and research teams using their own data
    Qualitative data analysis services via teleworking

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

It came down no trouble at all this time, thanks Kate.
Leonie Daws
Kihi Consultancies
Qualitative Research Training and Consulting Service
Mallacoota, Australia
Email: leonie@kihi.com.au

URL: http://www.kihi.com.au

#6 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks, Kate.

It would be good to have a tutorial for the customized reports and extracts as there are simply too many options. And I don't tend to get the result I would have expected when choosing the different options.

Another comment regarding the speed in which reports are created. I have a very good computer with quadcore processor i7 and 6 GB RAM. Nevertheless it takes an awful long time to produce most of the reports.I can often have several coffees until NVivo 9 is finished preparing the report. It takes (much) longer with the new version than with NVivo 8.

#7 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:19 AM

Kate, could you please briefly write down, which options you have chosen for the Attribute Summary with a list of Nodes for each Attribute Value? That might help us to understand better what each option is meant to do. Thanks in advance

#8 Kate Edwards-Davis

Kate Edwards-Davis

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Here's a quick summary of how I built my report:

Use the new report button on the Explore ribbon to create a new report
  • Build the report from the Node Classification view
  • Choose the fields:
    • Classification.Node : Name
    • Node.Attribute Value: Attribute Name
    • Node.Attribute value: Attribute Value
  • Add a filter:
    • Select field: Node.Attribute Value: Attribute Name
    • Select operator: 'In'
    • Leave value as [prompt for parameter]
  • Add grouping levels:
    • Level 1: Attribute Name
    • Level 2: Attribute Value
    • Within the grouping levels, select 'Group Options'
    • Select the Attribute value grouping level, then choose 'Count records' for Classification.Node.Name
  • Sort by Node Name
  • Choose 'Stepped' layout
  • Choose 'Black and White' style
  • Give the report a Name, Desscription and Title

I hope that's helpful in some way :) I have also passed on your request for a Reports focused tutorial. By the way, I know the QSR training course for NVivo 9 includes a short section on creating Reports and Extracts.

It's true - NVivo 9 reports will take longer than NVivo 8 reports. That's part of the trade off for making reports customisable. They are now generated through an intermediate tool which supports the customisation and translates your custom report choices to code that can generate the report, rather than driven directly from programming code that cannot be customised by users. Having said that we are still looking at ways to improve the performance of reporting in NVivo 9.

Regards,
Kate

#9 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

Thanks, Kate. That's very helpful

#10 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

I am still struggling. Is there somewhere a document that describes what is meant by all the different terms used in the report wizard and what choosing each individual one does? Where the differences are? Starting with all the views including node, node classification, project item etc., over the 'available fields' such as node, node.classification, node.attribute value, node.coded source, intersecting node, ... and so on.

How do I do for instance:

1) Count of cases (imported from NVivo8/ number of sources per case differ) for one tree or free node and a range of cases (w/o and with list of references)

2) Same as before but several tree or free nodes

#11 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

I am still struggling. Is there somewhere a document that describes what is meant by all the different terms used in the report wizard and what choosing each individual one does? Where the differences are? Starting with all the views including node, node classification, project item etc., over the 'available fields' such as node, node.classification, node.attribute value, node.coded source, intersecting node, ... and so on.

How do I do for instance:

1) Count of cases (imported from NVivo8/ number of sources per case differ) for one tree or free node and a range of cases (w/o and with list of references)

2) Same as before but several tree or free nodes

Hi LeadershipInes,

Thanks for your post. I’m a technical writer here at QSR and am interested in your feedback on reports.

We are looking to provide more information about reports – either in the online help or in animated tutorials.

In the meantime, to create a report that lists ‘theme’ nodes and counts the ‘cases’ that are coded at them:

1. Choose the Node view and click Next.
2. Add Node.Name and Intersecting Node.Name into the Selected fields list and click Next.
3. Click Add, specify the following filters, and then click Next:

• Node.Name In <select a node folder or specific nodes>
  • Intersecting Node.Classification.Name Equal to Case
4. To group the report by theme nodes, move Node.Name into the Selected fields list.
5. Click the Group Options button and, for Intersecting Node.Name , select Count records and click OK.
6. The next two steps of the wizard relate to the layout and look of your report, click Next to accept the defaults.
7. On the last step give your report a name and title and click Finish.

Other things to note:

• The report cannot provide a list of references showing the intersection between the case nodes and the thematic node
  • When you report on ‘ several tree or free nodes’ the report lists the intersecting cases for each thematic node – it cannot calculate a list of cases that intersect with all of the selected thematic nodes.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kath

#12 LeadershipInes

LeadershipInes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:44 AM

Thanks, Kath. This got me what I wanted.

Without any further explanation (what's currently in the help is absolutely insufficient as it does not explain the different choices, the differences and what choosing them does) creating reports has become too difficult. It is great to have choices but they need to be intuitive and - at least for me - they are not at the moment.

For me personally I would like to have more information and examples in the online help but also animated tutorials. And in addition to this I would also like to have an online area with reports 'templates' that I can simply import, similar to what Kate has posted earlier on in this topic.

#13 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hi LeadershipInes,

Just wanted to let you know that there is new information about reports available in the 'online' version of the NVivo Help.

We have included more detail about using the report 'views', including a number of step-by-step examples.

The 'online' help is displayed when you are connected to the internet (make sure you have selected the option 'Use online help when connected to the Internet' in Application Options).

We hope you find the new material helpful and welcome any feedback you might have.

Regards,
Kathleen (technical writer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users