• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shiphra

shiphra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

***UPDATE*** Please refer to the FAQ for instructions on how to resolve this error: http://www.qsrintern....aspx?view=1362

I've just started using NVivo 9 and it worked perfectly the first couple of times. Then yesterday I tried to open my project and got the error notice above, with the following: Database component did not initialize. I read the posts for similar errors and found a solution for NVivo 8, which involved resetting some SQL server files. That actually worked - got my projects open yesterday. But today I'm getting the same message - and no projects will open. Has someone found a better solution? I don't want to have to keep fiddling with those SQL files every day! (Not sure if it matters but I still have NVivo 8 on my system - which I was going to delete but now realize I may need!)

Any thoughts on solving this?

#2 Darren Gage

Darren Gage

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've just started using NVivo 9 and it worked perfectly the first couple of times. Then yesterday I tried to open my project and got the error notice above, with the following: Database component did not initialize. I read the posts for similar errors and found a solution for NVivo 8, which involved resetting some SQL server files. That actually worked - got my projects open yesterday. But today I'm getting the same message - and no projects will open. Has someone found a better solution? I don't want to have to keep fiddling with those SQL files every day! (Not sure if it matters but I still have NVivo 8 on my system - which I was going to delete but now realize I may need!)

Any thoughts on solving this?

Hello Shipra,

This sounds like an installation problem. I suggest emailing QSR Support and they will detail steps on how you can provide QSR with SQL log files so we can determine the root cause of your problem.

regards
Darren

QA Manager
QSR International

#3 sdspieg

sdspieg

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Same here. I wish Nvivo would take this forum more seriously and actually answer questions properly here (e.g. algorithms to troubleshoot problems like this). I have encountered loads of problems with Nvivo (both 8 AND 9). And it has become clear to me that despite its price, Nvivo is not equipped to deal with larger datasets - something that is never advertized. Maybe for coding (small) surveys, it's fine; but we have a large dataset with about 300 internals (pdf files - some of a few MB), that have been coded to contain hundreds of tree nodes (some with up to 4 layers). Nvivo can not run large queries (coding matrix) on this (keeps crashing/stopping about half way through - after about 12 hours). A request to support gave the following cheery answer:

RE: Generating coding matrix excruciatingly slow CRM:01210001443
Inbox
QSR Support to me
show details Nov 29 (4 days ago)
Hi Stephan,

Thank you for contacting QSR Support.

Depending upon the scope and criteria selected, large queries can take hours. I am assuming that you have selected 700 nodes and 300 source documents in your query criteria. There isn't much that can be done unfortunately to make the query run any quicker.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Needless to say - this does not help at all. I can think of very few less helpful answers (and of a lot more helpful ones). But so I therefore broke the big file (500MB) down into 3 smaller ones (also no mean task in the absence of a 'Save as' command). Running a query on such a set of about 100MB takes between 10 and 24 hours (on an Intel Core I7 machine with 6 gigs of RAM). WHEN it works (the program become sunstable very quickly). But so on one of these, I also get the same error as the other person here. Here is a copy of my log - http://dl.dropbox.co...vivo9 _log.LDF. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

-Stephan

Hello Shipra,

This sounds like an installation problem. I suggest emailing QSR Support and they will detail steps on how you can provide QSR with SQL log files so we can determine the root cause of your problem.

regards
Darren

#4 sdspieg

sdspieg

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

The agony continues. I have now broken the larger file up in 3 smaller files, have used a different computer (also i7 but desktop and with more cache, 12gigs of RAM and on an SSD drive). One of those file that had taken about 10 hours now got processed in a bit over a minute. But the other two ones won't even open anymore.

Version = 9.0.204.0
Exception = gg
Message = Failed to attach to database.
FullText = gg: Failed to attach to database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: One or more files do not match the primary file of the database. If you are attempting to attach a database, retry the operation with the correct files. If this is an existing database, the file may be corrupted and should be restored from a backup.
Could not open new database 'NVivo10'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
Log file 'C:\Users\Eigenaar\Downloads\FoC_all+scenarios_Eng-Rus Nvivo9_log.LDF' does not match the primary file. It may be from a different database or the log may have been rebuilt previously.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at es.a(SqlConnection A_0, DatabaseIdentifier A_1, b0 A_2, Boolean A_3)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at k7.a(String A_0, String A_1, Exception A_2)
at k7.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, ApplicationConnection A_4, String A_5, SimulateServerProjectParams A_6, Boolean A_7)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.a(CreateOpenProjectParameters A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, ApplicationConnection A_3)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OpenProject(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Boolean A_4, ApplicationConnection A_5)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OpenProject(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, ApplicationConnection A_3, Boolean A_4)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OpenCommandLineProject()
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.Launch.a(Object A_0, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs A_1)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

I have already missed a deadline and am not even close to a resolution of this issue. Also most postings about this in this forum refer people to support instead of at least offering some possible troubleshooting tips. But maybe somebody else here on the forum could help me? What is the deal with 'resetting sql files', for instance?

-Stephan

Same here. I wish Nvivo would take this forum more seriously and actually answer questions properly here (e.g. algorithms to troubleshoot problems like this). I have encountered loads of problems with Nvivo (both 8 AND 9). And it has become clear to me that despite its price, Nvivo is not equipped to deal with larger datasets - something that is never advertized. Maybe for coding (small) surveys, it's fine; but we have a large dataset with about 300 internals (pdf files - some of a few MB), that have been coded to contain hundreds of tree nodes (some with up to 4 layers). Nvivo can not run large queries (coding matrix) on this (keeps crashing/stopping about half way through - after about 12 hours). A request to support gave the following cheery answer:

RE: Generating coding matrix excruciatingly slow CRM:01210001443
Inbox
QSR Support to me
show details Nov 29 (4 days ago)
Hi Stephan,

Thank you for contacting QSR Support.

Depending upon the scope and criteria selected, large queries can take hours. I am assuming that you have selected 700 nodes and 300 source documents in your query criteria. There isn't much that can be done unfortunately to make the query run any quicker.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Needless to say - this does not help at all. I can think of very few less helpful answers (and of a lot more helpful ones). But so I therefore broke the big file (500MB) down into 3 smaller ones (also no mean task in the absence of a 'Save as' command). Running a query on such a set of about 100MB takes between 10 and 24 hours (on an Intel Core I7 machine with 6 gigs of RAM). WHEN it works (the program become sunstable very quickly). But so on one of these, I also get the same error as the other person here. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

-Stephan

#5 sdspieg

sdspieg

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Following up.

I contacted customer support, and sent the project files in question to their ftp-server. Their 'technical experts' looked at it (took them 24 hours) and here is what the 'customer service and support consultant' came up with: "Whilst trying to look at your sources and nodes, we found there was corruption in some of your source documents. I wasn't able to turn aggregate coding ON or OFF and merging nodes was also causing NVivo to crash". No explanation about WHAT corruption was found, what could have caused it, how this can be avoided, remedied, etc. I had sent 2 nvivo files: one that I could still open, and one that I could not. They sent me back the file that was fine with the following comment: "The project has been fixed (named "FCoC Final Chinese_Fixed.zip") and uploaded to the FTP folder. Please be aware that there has been some data loss in the project. The sources database table had some corruption in it. Some of your sources had to be deleted.". So this was in the file that was just fine on my side when I sent it and that supposedly came back with some sources deleted (for no apparent reason). So I replied that the one I needed help with was the other one. Another 24 hours passed and then:

"I am uploading your fixed project now to the FTP site. It might take about an hour as the upload connection seems slow today [!!!!].

I was able to open both your projects successfully without any issues but there was some project corruption (in sources) which is now fixed.

It appears that your database files (LDF files) were incorrect and that's why you couldn't open the file. My computer didn't have those LDF files and so NVivo 9 re-created them which allowed me to open your project without any issues. Usually deleting the LDF files fixes the issue. You didn't have the same problem with the Chinese file because the LDF file was correct and corresponded to the project file.

I am not exactly sure about of the details of what the technical experts do to fix the issue [sic!!!!]. They usually open the database and check the project file against the database.

There could be many reasons why a project file can get corrupted. If NVivo isn't shutdown properly [as in an unexplained crash], or if the project file is located on an external drive and the external drive is removed prior to closing NVivo, memory corruption issue with the external disk etc. all could cause project corruption."

Result of all of this: the file I had a problem with and they supposedly 'fixed' still crashes most of the time. This represents a few months work by a number of people across the world. I have an important meeting tomorrow at which I am supposed to show the results. I've asked one more time for their urgent assistance. Here is what I just got back:

"Thanks for your email. Our Support team are away from the office attending an event, so our response to you may be delayed. Please expect to hear from us within two [!!!!] working days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So much for QSR customer support...

-Stephan

#6 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hello Stephan,

There are issues and situations which are best dealt with directly via support@qsrinternational.com as Darren from our QSR office posted in reply to Shipra's original post. As you have already contacted QSR Customer Services and Support directly, we are pleased to continue to assist you via this avenue. I can see you have sent another email directly to QSR and we will respond as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
Glenys Veith

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

#7 sdspieg

sdspieg

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Reporting back. Support (Glenys) did help me with this. It turned out the solution was quite easy - here is what transpired:

"Would you try the following settings because you may experience poor performance when working with large nodes. To counteract this you can have large nodes automatically displayed in plain text.

To change this setting:

1. Launch NVivo
2. Go to the File menu -> Options

3. Tick the option next to ‘Display plain text for nodes with'

4. Change 'Optimized standalone projects for size' to 'Large'.
5. Click Apply

6. Click OK

7. Close down NVivo"

And that did it. I can now open the file easily (in 15-20 seconds), can work with it without Nvivo freezing or crashing (at least so far - fingers crossed!). I still don't understand why QSR cannot post such real solutions in this form and keeps insisting on doing this bilaterally with customers. So I am posting this to hopefully help others with this problem and save them the valuable time on their projects that I have now lost (in this case over a week!).

Cheers,

-Stephan

Hello Stephan,

There are issues and situations which are best dealt with directly via support@qsrinternational.com as Darren from our QSR office posted in reply to Shipra's original post. As you have already contacted QSR Customer Services and Support directly, we are pleased to continue to assist you via this avenue. I can see you have sent another email directly to QSR and we will respond as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
Glenys Veith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users