5 replies to this topic

#1 Sue Bullen

Sue Bullen

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Those users who love the Matrix Coding Query but always wanted to be able to see the text of each cell as a table rather than open each cell to view the coding, have you tried using the new Framework Matrices tool?

The Framework methodology specifically uses 'Case' node by thematic nodes but NVivo also allows you to use thematic nodes in both the rows and columns (like you would do for a Matrix Coding query), then via the Analyze tab, in the Framework Matrix group, select Auto Summarize! Wow! :o :)

Sue Bullen
Training and Research Consultancy
Regional Manager, Asia Pacific
QSR International Pty Ltd
http://www.qsrinternational.com

#2 NumNumNum

NumNumNum

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Yes, this sounds useful, but I've encountered a challenge regarding framework matrices.

Currently I have a bunch of quotations from news sources that I've coded according to three nodal themes: types of actors, discourse/theme, and time period (i.e. 2010Q1, 2010Q2).

I want to create a spreadsheet/chart where each cell represents the intersection of each of these nodal themes (i.e. actorsXdiscourse, discourseXtime, actorsXtime).

After A LOT of trial and error, I just discovered Auto Summary. However, there are two problems. The first is that when the nodal intersections are entered into the cells of the matrix, the Reference information isn't entered. Sometimes I need the reference info so that I can reopen it for context. The second is that there is a character limit to the amount of information that a cell can handle. I get a message that says "Auto summarization complete, 86 summaries have been modified. One or more summaries have exceeded the summary character limit and are truncated." I understand that there needs to be a limit, but if the program cannot tell me which cells have been truncated, then I have no way of know which cells have missing information (which I could enter manually later).

Is there any way to fix this?

On another note, is there any way to ship the whole project out into an xml format that I can analyze interactively without using NVIVO? For example, not to modify or do matrix analysis, but to have access to a matrix analysis wherein I could click on a node hyperlink that takes me directly to a copy of the source where that node was coded, but with everything coded into the xml.

Thanks!

#3 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hey NumNumNum,

This reply has taken way too long...sorry! I had a chat to Maria (our resident Framework matrices expert) and she thinks you have some very good points. We have raised the following suggestions to be considered by the development team:
  • Provide reference details in auto summaries
  • Provide more information about truncated cells in auto summaries that exceed character limit
  • Export project in XML format
I know this doesn't help you much right now, but your feedback is really useful.

Cheers,
Kath

#4 docdempster.pd

docdempster.pd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

I have just coded a framework matrice and it has not saved random boxes why is this. i have done a number today and they have all got missing data?

what could be cuasing this?

#5 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi docdempster.pd

This sounds like a problem that is best handled by our support team. You can email them directly (support@qsrinternational.com). Hope they can sort it out quickly for you.

Cheers,
Kath

#6 latif

latif

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

This is great Su, but I could not use same thematic nodes both for Rows and columns.

Thanks
Latif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: framework, matrix, coding, viewing coding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users