• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar Alvarez-Macotela

Oscar Alvarez-Macotela

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:education studies research, law and financial development; social investment and sustainability; law and social development; informal institutions; entomophagy, and CAQDAS.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I was wondering if NVivo10 is going to include the capability to directly import/export from/to OneNote.

I noticed that Evernote is already included in the recent announcement of the forthcoming release to the public but no mention to OneNote. Since Onfolio (Academic & Scientifi edition) was removed from the market following its acquisition by MicroSoft, I have not found a suitable equivalent (one that, for example, works directly with bibliographic software such as EndNote). I have been using OneNote for my research during the past three years and it would be wonderful news for me if NVivo10 provides its users with specific features to ease the task of importing to NVivo the 'pre-selected raw material' from OneNote.

I have tried Evernote but I do not see any substantial difference (unless compatibility with Mac is required).
"It is astonishing how many foolish things one can temporarily believe if one thinks too long alone" - John Maynard Keynes

#2 canarik

canarik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Conflict Analysis & Resolution, Terrorism, Ethnic and Religiously Motivated Terrorism, Cyber-terrorism, Security, Intelligence, Qualitative Research, Nvivo, and Technology.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi Oscar,

Have you ever tried Zotero? It is not just a bibliographic manager but also a suitable equivalent for Onfolio about its web-capturing capability.

In my opinion, it is better than both Endnote and Onenote.

Nvivo 9 supports Zotero but currently the way that it handle does not let user to get full benefits of Zotero, and if they provide (lets say support for Zotero RDF files) in Nvivo 10 that would be really great. No one will need to look for an alternative on bibliographic management, web-capturing, pdf indexing, and research collaboration.

Last but not the least, unlike other solutions Zotero is FREE.
Can ARIK

#3 Oscar Alvarez-Macotela

Oscar Alvarez-Macotela

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:education studies research, law and financial development; social investment and sustainability; law and social development; informal institutions; entomophagy, and CAQDAS.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Hi Can ARIK,

Thank you for your suggestion. Much appreciated.

I tried Zotero in 2007 and tried last year again. It is one of the preferred options for some colleagues of mine who do not use Internet Explorer. I have not tried the standalone version (3.0) but I understand that it is not fully compatible with Internet Explorer. I have no plans to stop using IE, so that seems to be a problem. However, I will keep an eye on further integration of Zotero and similar tools with NVivo and will not hesitate in exploring new solutions.

On the other hand --and more fundamentally-- I do not want to be the one adapting to NVivo, I expect from QSR to continue developing NVivo in a way that it suits the needs of its users. I think QSR has been receptive to feedback from its users and that is why my suggestion here.

Best wishes
"It is astonishing how many foolish things one can temporarily believe if one thinks too long alone" - John Maynard Keynes

#4 Marcus Ogden

Marcus Ogden

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the suggestion. As you've mentioned, our forthcoming NVivo 10 release will include support for importing data from Evernote. Our product development team are currently investigating future support for OneNote.

May I ask you some questions about what you'd like to be able to import from OneNote?

1. What kind of data do you have in OneNote? For example, text notes, web clippings, multimedia, file attachments...
2. Would you be wanting to import specific OneNote pages into NVivo, or would you be wanting to import entire sections or notebooks?
3. Do you use tags or other properties of your OneNote pages that you would want to see imported into NVivo?

Thanks and regards,

Marcus Ogden
Product Manager
QSR International
www.qsrinternational.com

#5 Jon EP

Jon EP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

A question or thought regarding Evernote, Onenote, and, indeed, Zotero - One challenge for integrating these programs into NVIVO is that they continue growing and changing over time. After you've imported a set of references from Zotero, or data from a note-taking app, that information remains in NVIVO as it was at the time of the import.  If you then add new references, or make changes (perhaps in the notes section) to the reference in Zotero, that new information will not be reflected in the corresponding entry in NVIVO.  It would be great if there was some sort of "sync" feature that allowed you to immediately update the imported information in Zotero.  A two-way sync would be even better, but seems unrealistic presently (that is, when you made notes on a PDF in NVIVO, you could somehow export those notes to the PDF held in Zotero).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NVivo 10, OneNote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users