#1 deeceem

deeceem

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi

If i use automatic numbering in word to number questions, when the completed interview summary is loaded into nvivo the numbering continues to be automatic. THis means that nvivo re-numbers the quesions and i lose track of question order.
Is there a way around this?

thanks

#2 QSR Support

QSR Support

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi,
Auto-formatted Word document line numbering is not retained when a Word document is imported into NVivo. The only way to achieve this is to ensure that the line numbers are embedded in each line of text in the Word document.

However, you will find that when you have the cursor positioned within an open Source in NVivo, the status bar at the bottom of the screen will show the line number and character (column) of the cursor position.

Also, here is a technique suggested in the Forum so that line numbers can be seen in NVivo after import:

http://forums.qsrint...?showtopic=2824
  • Save the transcripts as 'text only with line breaks' format rather than .doc or .docx (in Word 2003 and 2007, go to Save As... plain text, then when you get the next dialog box, check 'Insert Line Breaks' before saving).
  • Re-open this text file in Word and simply make the transcript into a numbered list (i.e., through 'Bullets and numbering' rather than applying line numbers through Page Setup).
  • Since this document has breaks at the end of every line, each line should now be numbered.You can now re-format the document (font, margins etc) and save it as a Word document again.
  • Import this new Word document into NVivo. The line numbers now appear in NVivo and are visible in coding and summaries.
I hope this helps.
Regards,

Mohammad Shakeb

QSR Support

QSR International Pty Ltd
2nd Floor, 651 Doncaster Road | Doncaster Victoria 3108 Australia

Find answers to your support questions or raise new support requests online at:

http://www.qsrintern...om/support.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users