1 reply to this topic

#1 sdfitzgerald

sdfitzgerald

Casual Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

I am trying to figure out how to best use NVivo to analyze data from a survey-like research project. There are 800 participants in the study and I have about a paragraph of text to code from each participant, along with 4 demographic attributes I want to classify for each participant. What is the best way to handle this dataset in NVivo? I know this is not your typical qualitative study, but hoping that NVivo can help me organize this data. Is there also a limit to how much participant information I can input into NVivo? I will actually be splitting up the project in two as the data is coming from two sources.
Thanks!

#2 Kath McNiff

Kath McNiff

Advanced Member

• QSR Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:NVivo, qualitative research, technical communication, social media

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi sdfitzgerald,

If your data is in a spreadsheet (with a row for each participant and columns for ID, codable text and demographic attributes) - then you can import it as a dataset in NVivo.

You can have up to 256 fields (columns) and 1,048,576 records (rows) in a dataset - so there should be no worries about the amount of data you are working with!

Once you import the dataset, you can use autocoding to make a node for each respondent and code the related paragraph of text. You can then use the Classify from Dataset wizard to apply the demographic attributes to each participant node.

Then, the world is your oyster! You can code the content at themes and use queries and visualizations to explore and compare participant responses.

The video Work with survey results can help you to get up and running.

You might also find the following help topics useful:

Import data from spreadsheets and text files

Automatic coding in dataset sources

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Kath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users