kqh290

Seeing how my transcripts are coded - stripes aren't working for me

kqh290    0

I am an Nvivo newbie, who has just coded all of my interviews (with way too many nodes 450!! which I am now sorting through, organizing hiearchally, finding synonyms, etc)

However once I have coded my sources, I can't really see what I have coded where from within the source itself. My coded sections are highlighted, but I don't know how to see which nodes I've coded. I don't find the coding stripes at all helpful, I just want to see a list of the codes I have used on a selection.

I've tried exporting to word (I can get my source classifications shown but not the nodes) and printing to PDF (it's one hot confusing mess).

Do you have any tips to help me see how I have coded my transcripts within Nvivo and how to export the coded transcripts with codes to Word.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

PS. I don't have any problem generating a report showing me which nodes I have used and where I have used them for an interview - these are presented alphabetically by node. What I would like is to see the nodes in a 3rd column beside my transcript sections - column 1 timestamp, column2 text, column 3 nodes.

QSRSupport    75

Hi Melissa,

I understand you have mentioned Coding stripes aren't helpful. However, you can display Coding stripes adjacent to the text on the same page. You will be able to tell which nodes are coded at any given section of the text.

You can also print the text with coding stripes on the same page. See the link below for more information:

http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/use_coding_stripes_to_explore_coding.htm#MiniTOCBookMark16

If you install a PDF printer, you can export this information to a PDF file.

Regards,

Mohammad

kqh290    0

Hi Mohammad,

Unfortunately I found your answer about as useful as the coding stripes, as I had already read and understood the help page you linked to.

I have attached an image (with transcript text blurredI of an example of an interview transcript. It is very difficult to read how I have coded the individual sections as I have to turn my head 90 degrees and scroll scroll scroll to the right and left and back again to see what's coded. This is because all of the nodes used on this source are shown for each section coded. It just doesn't work (cognitively) for me.

Bj53a_vCMAAsesD.jpg

Kind regards,

Melissa

QSRSupport    75

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for your reply.

In NVivo 10 for Windows, currently the only way to see which node a section has been coded to in a source is to use Coding Stripes.

It seems that with so many nodes in your project, the Coding Stripes is just too wide for you at the moment. Have you considered refining your node structure - if you create parent nodes and aggregate the child nodes within them you can simply display only the parent nodes in Coding Stripes. This will tidy up your Coding Stripes a bit more and make it easier to see where sections have been coded to.

My other two suggestions would be to adjust the size of the Coding Stripes window by hovering your mouse over the left-hand edge of the Coding Stripes and dragging it to an appropriate length. You can also set Coding Stripes to only display certain nodes, instead of the entire 450 you currently have, by clicking Coding Stripes > Selected Items.

If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Coding Stripes or displaying information in sources, please let us know on our Suggestions for our software forum.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best regards,

Richard Simms