Jordi Comas

Linking Imported Node Classification Sheet to Text in Sources

Jordi Comas    0

I have sources that have the name of a person, say Ahmed Hamza.

I have an excel spreadsheet with lots of attribute data about each person, like Ahmed Hamza.

I can import the excel spreadsheet as a node classification sheet.

1) When I do this, there is a way NVivo will recognize that each entry in one column, the names, should become nodes?

The process here does not specify if the column with item 1,2,... become nodes in NVivo.

2) Assuming that #1 works and now I have a classification sheet where each row is a person coded as a node and also classified as person with his attributes, here is next question.

Can I then tell Nvivo to find every instance of each name and code them all at the node of that name (which is classified as a person?) For example, Ahmed Hamza is imported via #1. Now I want to make sure that wherever in my sources "Ahmed Hamza" appears, those references fall under the node I just created.

Thanks! :)

j.innes    9

I'm interested in doing this too! I was operating under the assumptions that once I did the coding of data, I could then overlay the attributes on top by importing the classification sheet. I have really struggled with the actual process. The above seems like a good idea, but if there's a neater way then that would be even better.

My project involves a set of documents. The information about these documents (such as date published, author, journal, etc) are saved in a classification spreadsheet. The documents themselves have been coded for themes, now to spot patterns I'd like to connect each document to its relevant author and date. I've attempting importing the spreadsheet both as a node and source classification sheet. This process does not actually connect the documents with the attributes (or at least the way I have done it). The above suggestions seems sensible, but how to make Nvivo recognise that the title of the document in Nvivo is a title of the document in the classification sheet?

• Like 1

Jordi Comas    0

Good to know I am not alone. Your situation does seem very similar. In my sources, I have coded, and will code, for themes. I'd like to get to point where I can do queries or other reports using the classification sheet nodes (people) and look for what is coded in the sources (documents). To do this, i need NVivo to take the nodes that the imported classification spreadsheet created and then take every other instance where that text string appears, the name, and aggregate it under the node "person."

I suppose I could manually find every instance of the name, like Ahmed Hamza, and then autocode those as nodes. But I would have to do it manually for 142 names. If there was someway to tell Nvivo "Take this column from this node classification sheet and find all other instances of the same text string and make those references under the same node." The problem would be any duplicate names.... or misspellings of names in the sources.

Kathlynn    0

Hello, I too have questions similar to your's. I want to create a spreadsheet with 62 variables and 73 respondents. These are 1 sentence narrative responses within the cells. Once imported into NVvio- would they be codable for themes or only as an attribute? Is there a limit to number of variables (columns) for any one import? For example, could I use the same spreadsheet to store an additional 7 demographic variables for each respondent? OR since these are clear attributes, keep this separate from the other more narrative data?

Jordi Comas    0

I think what we want is to do two things.

One is to import the spreadsheet as external data to have codable fields for more open-ended responses. The other is to import the same dataset (spreadsheet) but this time as a classification sheet to capture the attribute fields.

THe trick is to then link the two back to each other. Given that THREE of us are thinking about this, seems like we deserve a QSR response?

j.innes    9

At the very least it would be helpful to have an answer to say that this is not possible.

Incidentally, I am now going for plan B. I have exported the list of my documents and nodes as a matrix. I will merge this dataset with the classification spreadsheet in SAS and take it from there. I would have though this is something that Nvivo should be able to do for you, providing context to your data, but it looks like this is stuff you need to do manually. Quite brutal for 650 articles!

karinb15    1

Hi there,

I have been working on the solution to linking data like this for two straight days as I knew it could be done and just could not put all the steps together in the right order. I finally

got it! After lots and lots of trial and error and searching through the available documentation/support, I found these are the steps that worked for my data, which is from online surveys. I'm posting here just in case this works for others too, but I'm sure it will need to be altered for different data types.

1. Prepare and load your database.
  2. Make sure your participant nodes have NOT been created yet and make really sure there are NO classification sheets loaded into the Node Classification folder yet.
  3. Autocode the database to create CASE NODES. Use the “source structure and style” option and then the “nodes for each value in a column” option.
  4. If you have already coded some content in this database, check to see that these new case nodes have coded material in them. If not, try coding some to make sure it registers in these case nodes.
  5. Import your classification sheet. Make sure to use the same identifier that you used when creating the case nodes.
  6. Highlight all the case nodes (use the scroll and shift key method if there are many) and classify them under the classification sheet you just imported.
  7. Now you should be able to run matrix queries that use your Node Classification attribute values for one axis (so for example, English, French, and Spanish speakers or ages 20-30, ages 30-40, ages 40-50, etc.) and coded material to any node(s) you choose on the other axis.

Hope this helps - good luck!

• Like 1