Darrel    0

Hello Everyone,

I am working with NVivo 10 on Windows to examine policies in archival government texts. I am interested in

determining and quantifying the focus of the policies. The texts are scanned pdfs (n=40) and each pdf may

contain as few as 8 policies to over 110 policies. In addition, the coding has been largely executed by region.

For my analysis, using 7 Parent nodes and over100 child nodes, I analyze each policy for the presence of any

of the children.

At this point, I need to employ a second User in order to obtain an inter-rater statistic. In my social science field,

Percent Agreement is not frowned on and researchers are moving away from Cohen's alpha. A journal referee

is pointing to Krippendorff's alpha.

Because books are the units of analysis, the ideal solution would be a matrix query with the books as rows,

the users as columns, filter the results by child nodes, then export into excel for the Kripp analysis. Having both

users in the same project would allow for reconciliation of coding disagreements.

Is this possible as I understand the NVivo counts all Users in coding frequency? If not, then how should I proceed

with introducing my second User and obtaining a subsequent Kripp analysis.

thx

dr-m

QSRSupport    75

Hi Darrel,

You could run your matrix coding query in this way and then export the resulting node matrix to run your analysis in Excel. Please keep in mind though that the results of the matrix coding query by default show the number of coding references which may not be ideal when running your analysis.

You can change the cell content in your node matrix to show other information such as words coded which might be more relevant to you. Instructions on how to do this can be found at the following link http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/work_with_the_content_of_a_node_matrix.htm?

Another approach to getting the information you need might be to run a coding comparison query within NVivo, and then export the results to Excel and continue with your analysis using this Excel spreadsheet. You might find the following spreadsheet helpful. It contains some information on how coding comparison queries are run in NVivo and includes examples of how to use this data to perform further analysis. http://redirect.qsrinternational.com/examples-coding-comparison-nv10-en.htm

Regards, Heather