Welby

Coding stripe

Welby    9

Sorry folks if this is a basic question that I should know, but I'm a newbie at this.

I've just imported my transcribed interviews and done some coding. I noticed that before I began there was already one coding stripe for the entire length of the document with the person's name. When I hover the cursor over it's one of my cases. All interviews or cases have this one coding stripe in place before I began.

Should I leave this one or can it be deleted?

What purpose does it serve?

Many thanks in advance.

QSRSupport    75

Hi Welby,

It sounds like your interviews have been created as cases, or that you have created cases for your users and this transcript has been added. Cases function very similarly to nodes and they will appear in the coding stripes. This would also explain why the stripe goes the entire length of the source; because the whole source is present at the case.

You can following the coding stripe by double-clicking it, which should confirm the above.

Cheers,

Tane

Welby    9

Thank you, Tane.

I have a related question in that as I'm coding the transcripts, there are those times that I've asked a clarifying question. For example,

Teaching has always, in my mind, been a vocation, and so therefore if it ..
what do you mean by that?
that's we're always going to be giving more than our job descriptions states. And we're always going to give more of ourselves and we're always going to be in a scenario whereby, you know teaching from my perspective is a very giving ah um career.
When I code this in two parts it will indicate it is two references rather than just one. How should one code this? Simply remove the questions and the uh huh's that punctuate the transcription or any other ideas would be appreciated.
Regards
Welby

QSRSupport    75

Hi Welby,

Is there a particular reason you’d like this piece of text to appear as one reference?

NVivo counts a single piece of contiguous text as one reference. As you have your clarifying question in the middle that is uncoded, NVivo is creating two references. If you did want this to appear as one reference you would need to remove your question so that this is one continuous piece of coded text.

Regards,

Heather

Welby    9

Thanks Heather,

After I posted the question I realised I gave a poor example. There are times when my transcription included all my responses to the interviewee (right, ok, yes, etc) and this was breaking up the flow of what I consider to be one utterance for the want of a better word. Where there are clarifying questions I've left them in as you've indicated above. However the 'encouraging grunts' from the interviewer have now been removed - and I think that is the best way to go?

Regards,

Mark

QSRSupport    75

Hi Mark,

You’d need to remove these “encouraging grunts” if you wanted NVivo to see the response from the interviewee as single reference. The choice to do this is up to you and whether you find these “encouraging grunts” relevant to your research.

Regards,

Heather