neferuth831

Coding focus group

neferuth831    4

Could you please help me to understand how can I analyse the focus group interviews and differentiated between the participants in the interview as they are transcrbed as one continious document?
I understand that I should you case coding but I cannot do headings in the imported document at Nvivo 11 in Mac

QSRSupport    75

Hi neferuth831,

If you’re wanting to change your transcript document to include different headings for each speaker, you can edit your document before import into NVivo or you can edit within NVivo. To edit within NVivo, you will need to select the “Edit” checkbox to the top right of the detail view to switch your document to Edit mode. You aren’t able to edit PDF sources within NVivo, so if your transcript is a PDF you would need to edit this document before import.

You cannot use document structure or styles to auto code to cases within NVivo for Mac, so editing your document to include headings for each speaker is only to make things easier for you when reading through the transcript.

If you wish to code the text from each speaker to a separate case, you will need to do this manually. Coding to a case node is a similar process to coding to a theme node in NVivo, and you can review some coding techniques at the following link: http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/more_manual_coding_techniques.htm

If you need a refresher on creating and classifying case nodes, you can find some more information at the following link: http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/concepts/about_cases.htm

Regards,

Heather

neferuth831    4

Dear Heather,

I have turned editing on my NVivo but there is no heading button on the NVivo strip that I could turn on. If I do manually the headings in Word for example how do I make it recognizable in Nvivo and code the answers of the individual participant in focus group?

Kind Regards,

Ruta

QSRSupport    75

Hi Ruta,

The options to change the font style of your text within NVivo are available on the Home tab of the ribbon. To change your text to a heading style, click within the paragraph you’re wanting to format, and the on the Home tab, in the Styles group, select the style you want to use. You can find some more detail at the following link http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/format_text.htm

If you would like to edit your documents in Word instead, you will need to do this before you import your document into NVivo. There is no option to autocode using the document style or structure in NVivo for Mac, so any formatting you choose to do is just to make the document clearer when you’re reading it.

Regards,

Heather