tbkenniff

Working with large pictures and visuals

tbkenniff    5

Hi,

I am working on a project with a large quantity of visual material (jpeg and pdf) and I am worried about the single file size. I am working locally, not a on a network. I was hoping there would be an option to store picture sources outside the project file, like audio/video, but that does not seem to be the case. Has anyone encountered such an issue?

1) Is there a way to store visual material that is not audio/video outside the project file?

2) Can we change the file storage folder location in NVivo 11 for Mac?

I am hoping NVivo can prove useful for intensive visual research in design.

Thank you

QSRSupport    75

Hi tbkenniff,

If you don’t want to import your images into NVivo you could create these as external sources instead. You won’t be able to code your external images in the same way you would usually code an image within NVivo, so this option may or may not work for you.

You can find some information about external sources at the following link: http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/create_externals_for_sources_you_cannot_import.htm

I’ve passed feedback regarding this feature on to the relevant team. I also wanted to let you know that NVivo for Mac supports NVivo projects up to 512GB in size, so from that perspective there’s no problem with having many images within your NVivo project.

You can’t manually set default import/export locations in NVivo for Mac. This location will default to the last successfully used location.

Regards,

Heather

tbkenniff    5

Thank you, Heather.

External sources might work in some cases but not in most since we need to be able to code parts of the images.

Hopefully a similar linking option like the one for audio/video might be implemented in the future for pictures. This would greatly increase the success of the software as a tool in predominantly visual fields of research.

Thank you for passing the suggestion along to the relevant team.