rlaster

Coding Comparison Glitch

rlaster    1

Hello again,

I have another questions about the teamwork application in NVivo for Mac.

One team member just finished coding an interview transcript I had previously coded and I am checking the Coding Comparison Query to examine our level of agreement.

It seems that often the coding comparison is including more text than is actually coded to a node for one of us or both of us. So we lack agreement because the comparison analysis says, for example, I continued to code the next interviewer question as part of a specific node. This would be a mistake on my part as one of our coding "rules" is to only code interviewee text NOT the interviewer text. So I went to remove or uncode this question from the node - thinking I had made a mistake. When I opened up the node, the question text was not in the list of segments coded to the node at all.

Why is this text showing up as coded by me in the coding comparison query but not in the actual node? It is pulling down our agreement to have all this "extra" coding happening in the comparison query. I haven't even checked that much of the output for the query and this problem seems to be happening fairly regularly.

Thanks,

Becky Laster

QSRSupport    75

Hi Becky,

In order to calculate the level of agreement, Coding Comparison query looks at whole content of the source irrespective of whether it has been coded or not. Agreement is based not only on what both users have coded, but also on what both users have not coded. Refer to the link below on how agreement is calculated:

http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_coding_comparison_query.htm#MiniTOCBookMark5

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

rlaster    1

Hello again,

Actually that was not my question.

The problem is the coding comparison query seems to have coded information that neither person actually coded. So in the query it says that one person coded the interviewers question - but actually no one has coded the question. Or at least it does not show up as coded anywhere I can find except in the coding comparison query. For example, the interviewer question does not show up as coded when I pull up the node the query said it was coded to - to try to "Uncode" it at this node. That text is NOT actually listed as coded to that node in the list of all text coded to that node.

Does that make sense? This "extra" coding that exist in the comparison, but seemingly no where else, is pulling down the level of agreement numbers -I do understand why that would be - but there seems to be no way to fix it since the question text is not actually coded by any of the users.

Thanks again,

Becky Laster

QSRSupport    75

Hi Becky,

To progress with this matter, it would be helpful to see your project. Could you please reply to the email I sent few minutes ago and provide us your project file?

Regards,

Bhupesh