Two analysts coded the same text separately to be able to calculate inter-rater reliability. However, when I merged their two projects, the resulting number of references duplicated, as each of them coded the same piece of text in a similar way. For example, they both coded "I find it difficult to write about what I feel" as "STUDENT'S DIFFICULTIES". The problem is that NVivo says there are TWO references there, but the truth is there is only one.

How can I merge duplicated references to get a more reliable quantification?

Many thanks for your help

Federico 

Universidad de Chile (Chile); CONICET (Argentina)

QSRSupport    75

Hi Federico,

This the the expected behaviour of NVivo as the same text has been coded by two different coders. However, for coding comparison query, it would not be an issue because coding comparison looks at the coding done by each user individually.

Refer to the link below if you need detailed information on Coding Comparison query:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_coding_comparison_query.htm

If the nodes themselves are getting duplicated, it can occur if the name and/or the hierarchical location of nodes in both projects is not the same. Refer to the link below on how NVivo identifies duplicates when merging:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/deep_concepts/how_duplicate_project_items_are_handled_during_import.htm

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Thank you, Bhupesh.

The problem is that, apart from coding comparison query, I need to quantify the occurrences of each phenomenon. In my example (both assistants coded "I find it difficult to write about what I feel" as "STUDENT'S DIFFICULTIES"), the result is 2 references, but it actually is only one occurrence. This happens even when assistants code the exact same fragment.

So I'd like to know if there is a way NVivo can see that in cases like this there is only 1 reference, not 2, even if two different analysts coded the same thing.

Many thanks,
Federico