jcox3    0

Hi, I have interview files that are audio + transcript in NVivo. I'd like to be able to do the following word counts for each one:

1. The total number of words spoken by the participant (NOT the researcher - so not the total number of words in the transcript)

2. The total number of words coded

Is it possible to do this in NVivo? 

Thank you!

QSRSupport    75

Hi,

In order to get the total number of words spoken by the participant only, you would first need to code the transcript so that all of the participant speech is in their own node or set of nodes. This will then allow you to do a word count of the node, or a word count of the references that intersect those nodes and the source if your nodes contain other irrelevant coding as well.

The easiest way to find the total number of words coded is to create a report. You can find information about reports here: http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/create_reports_using_the_report_wizard.htm 

I have also attached a .nvr file which is a report I have made in the past which I think will suit your needs. You can load it by first downloading the file, and then opening NVivo and clicking Reports from the Navigation pane. Right-click somewhere in the list view and select Import Report. Navigate to where you saved the .nvr file and import. There is a total word count for each selected node, and a total at the bottom.

Cheers, Tane

Words per Node.nvr