Michael K.    0

Nvivo 11.4.1.1064 64-bit crashed several times here and after the event I realised I hadn't seen any autosave pop-ups for hours, so I just lost work as a result. I wasn't doing anything particularly demanding when the crashes occurred, and autosave has always been set to 15 minutes. I am attaching the crashinfo file here.

I must say I was fuming when I realised what happened and I have much less confidence in the stability of the product now. Quite simply, we can't afford crashes in the middle of big volumes of analysis. Whatever error happens, the application must be able to handle it.

I just switched on 'Display plain text...' as recommended and hope for the best.

crashinfo_374aefc3-0b13-48dd-8034-1083f3d56a2c.log

QSRSupport    75

Hi Michael,

NVivo doesn't have any auto-save feature as such. However, NVivo prompts you to save your project every 15 minutes. If project progress is not saved regularly and NVivo crashes, data after the last save, would most likely be lost.

May I know if you are accessing your project from a network drive or an online storage such as Dropbox?

Our technical team works regularly about improving NVivo's stability so as to minimise crashes however, I agree that there is scope for improvement. I have passed on your feedback to our product team about improving application stability. 

To fix crashes, in addition to enabling 'display plain text', I would also recommend you to rename your NVivo 11 customization folder as per steps below. Note, taking this action will reset any customization you have set up and your 'My Recent Projects' list on the Welcome screen will be refreshed. If you use NVivo 9 & 10 on the same PC these steps will also reset any customization you have setup in that program.

Next time you open NVivo 11, navigate to where your project is located and double-click on the project icon to open it. This action will place the project name back in the 'My Recent Projects' list.

As I am unsure which operating system you are using I have provided instructions for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows Vista/7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10:

1. With NVivo 11 closed, follow the steps below: 

i.        In the search box on the task bar (bottom left), start typing ‘Folder Options’ and click on File Explorer Options in the search results

ii.        In the new file explorer window that opens up, click on the View tab.

iii         In the Advanced settings section, under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders and drives option and click OK

2. Navigate to the following folders:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\QSR_International

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\QSR_International  (If exists)

3. Within these folders, rename all folders where the name starts with NVivo.exe_Url (e.g rename to old NVivo.exe_Url).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 8:

1. With NVivo 11 closed, follow the steps below: 

i.        From the Start screen, start typing Explorer and click on File Explorer icon in search results displayed

ii.        A new file explorer window should open up. Click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items option

2. Navigate to the following folders:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\QSR_International  (If exists)

3. Within these folders, rename all folders where the name starts with NVivo.exe_Url (e.g rename to old NVivo.exe_Url).

Windows 7:

1. With NVivo 11 closed, open Windows Explorer

a)    Right-click on the Windows Start circle -> Explore.

2. Display all hidden files and folders:

a)    Click on Organize -> Folder and Search Options

B)    On the 'Folder Options' dialog, click on the View tab and check 'Show hidden files and folders' option

c)    Click on the Apply button and click OK.

3. Navigate to the following folders:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\QSR_International (If exists)

4. Within these folders, rename all folders where the name starts with NVivo.exe_Url (e.g rename to old NVivo.exe_Url).

Let me know how you go.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Michael K.    0

Now I realised what 'Display plain text' does, I had to switch back off because I need the formatting.

I don't run Nvivo on a network but the file is stored in a Dropbox folder for added backing up. If that complicates things, I can keep the master .nvp file in a non-Dropbox folder and create copies on Dropbox.

I do appreciate that autosaving huge files may not be a good idea, but some sort of incremental autosaving may be efficient enough. At the moment, reminders are just annoying and switching them off is asking for trouble, particularly when the setup is not very reliable.

For now, I just hit Ctrl+S every few minutes and I will keep my setup hoping Nvivo won't crash. So far, so good.

Incidentally, given the potentially sensitive nature of the data, encrypting the .nvp file on-the-fly, particularly when it is stored on the cloud, will be great. I know we can use third-party encryption for that.