delia.mccabe

Help Please: coding done manually and now what?

Hi

Thanks in advance for any help provided :) I feel pretty lost in this endevour as NVivo has many, many options and I'm not sure which one I need to take.

I have manually produced codes for each of 9 focus group sessions, which I've laid out in 9 separate excel spreadsheets. There were between 6 and 8 of the same people in each focus group.

As the example below shows, each spreadsheet is therefore made up of many rows, with each row containing a name, an illustration in the next cell, with the next cell containing the code and then the next one contains a memo/note re' this illustration and the code. So, four items in a row that I need to be able to analyze and which I've now imported.

I have created 8 participants (cases) in a new NVivo project and have also imported all 9 spreadsheets with some of the columns being classifying and others being codeable.

I have a few questions:

1) I want to be able to code (create nodes) within each of the 9 internal documents so that I can see how the nodes change over the weeks that I conducted the focus groups. (I have done this manually with cardboard so can see there's a 'trend' over the time period and want to be able to see this electronically.)

2) I want to be able to assign a node to one of the cases (person) so that the node is 'linked' to the person who made the comment. Then I can see how the nodes changed over time and how they changed per participant.

3) I noticed that because I haven't linked a node to a case the system is assigning the same node to the same 'source' when this is not the case. If I can assign a node to a case then I won't have this problem :)

I have thought that maybe I can make a new node folder for each of the sessions nodes - so, 9 node folders with codes from each session inside the relevant folder - what do you think of that idea? But it doesn't solve the linking of nodes to cases .....

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Delia :)

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.05.43 PM.png

Edited by delia.mccabe
Have been trying to figure the challenge out as I've had no repsonse from any one in the forum yet

QSRSupport    75

Hello Delia, 

Please find our answers & suggestions for your questions below:

1. NVivo currently does not have any way of showing how a node has changed over a period of coding. Once you have done a certain amount of coding to a node, you may run a Matrix Coding query between your node and sources and save the results of the Matrix Coding query as a node matrix. Please refer to the below help link for more information:
http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/manage_query_results.htm#MiniTOCBookMark4
You will then be able to manually look at the different node matrices and see how the node has changed over a period of coding information.

2. When you code the same information to a theme node and a case node, the two are linked with the coded text. Please feel free to see the below help link for more information:
http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/concepts/understand_the_key_concepts.htm#MiniTOCBookMark4
If you run a query to look for coding based on an attribute value of one of your cases, the theme nodes that code the information which is coded to the case with the specified attribute, will also show up. See: http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_coding_query.htm

3. If some information is coded from to a case to a theme node, the coding in the theme node is still linked back to the source file which is the expected behavior with NVivo.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Rahul

Thank you very much for your advice and help Rahul.

I appreciate the time you took to reply to my query and I will follow the links as suggested .

Thanks again.
Delia :)